Nine

When I wake up the morning after the party, the cheerful chirping of birds outside my window makes me grumble

When I wake up the morning after the party, the cheerful chirping of birds outside my window makes me grumble. The harsh morning sunlight filters in, reflecting off my beige walls, and I pull the blanket over my head to halt the pounding headache that ensues.

Any other time, I would love to have woken up so early on such a beautiful day. But I didn't get home until one a.m. last night, and the liquor had my stomach reeling as a wave of nausea and regret washes over me.

I whine as I lift myself from the bed, rising to shut the blinds.

Every other Tuesday and sometimes weekends, Pawpaw expects me to come out to the farm and help out. As much as I love that, the thought of being around sheep and chickens after last night makes me groan. My head hurts, and the constant clucking and bawling will only make it worse.

At least I won't be alone. Lottie asked to hang out tonight and still wants to hang out, even after I told her I have to go to Pawpaw's farm. We have to work on our class project, anyway, so I can kill two birds with one stone. Thankfully, Pawpaw is willing to let her tag along.

"Emori," Mom calls. "Are you awake? You gotta leave in a few minutes!"

"Yeah, Momma. I gotta shower first and then I'll be down!" Once I'm done showering, I put on random clothes, almost falling in the process. My eyes are already somewhat adjusted to the light, but my legs are still wobbly.

When I enter the kitchen, Lottie has arrived and already made herself at home by the kitchen counter.

Her eyes connect with mine then drift to my hair, which I haven't bothered to brush yet. "I think you know what I'm gonna say."

I chuckle and go to the bathroom to run my brush through my hair a few times before returning. "Better?" I twirl around like a model, sticking my tongue out when I stop.

She nods, her lips spreading into a smile. "Much." She leans forward as I take a seat across from her. "So, what are we gonna do at your pawpaw's farm tonight?"

"Not much, I guess." Pawpaw always puts me to work, so unless we talk while we're working, we won't get to hang out much in the first couple of hours. "We may end up carrying feed bags or chasing chickens. Who knows?"

I'm sure that Pawpaw enjoys my company most of the time. Mom is always too busy with work to spend more than a few hours with him, and I am the only granddaughter he has. Aunt Phoebe went AWOL after she went off to college in California ten years ago. So, besides my mom, I'm the only family Pawpaw has.

"Well, either way, I'm glad I get to go with you. This will be super fun!" She smiles and nods at my mom. "Thank you for making sure I'm allowed to go, Mrs. Hagen."

Mom frowns at the formal name and sets a plate of bacon on the table. "Please, I hate formalities. Call me Julie."

"Okay, Miss Julie." She gestures to the plate of fatty grease strips. The smell wafts up to my nose, and I fight the urge to grab even a small piece. "Do you mind if I have some of these?"