👑 Prologue

꧁𝙳𝚘𝚗𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚟𝚘𝚝𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝!꧂

The problem with a mask is that eventually, it's hard to take it off. Eighteen years of wearing a mask suffocates you to the core. So, you either let it crack, break it down, or you let it overtake you and define you. Masking anger, hatred, fear and pain has become a second language to me. I can do it with ease, at the blink of an eye. To show no emotion is the safest emotion when working within the cold castle walls.

As their rules become stricter, the punishments come harder. You can almost taste the thick smell of their power in the air. If your mask doesn't suffocate you, their intoxicating smell of power and wealth will.

As I'm dragged to the town square, I'm not surprised to see a crowd of Goldblood's chanting. This is entertaining for them, giving them a thrill of excitement in their bland rich lives. I feel the grip around my arms leaving bruises and my legs struggling to keep up with the guard's pace.

The chains are ready. The whips have been cleaned and craving to be used. I've been here before, many times. They like to use me as an example of how you shouldn't behave.

The reason was funny really.

I was minding my own business in the library, when he came up to me. The Prince of all people. My guess was he thought I was a Goldblood. My head was stuck in a book, my mind galloping on a different adventure to my own.

He had spoken to me, his voice was concerned and even a little angry.

Miss, who did this to you?

But when I had looked up, my eyes caught his gold ones. You could see the change in character as he notices my status.

Although the scars had peaked out of my white dress, he still didn't catch on until I looked up. For a moment, to him, I was someone who mattered.

His blonde outgrown hair was pulled back into a small ponytail, and his mouth parted as he just stared. The Prince had locked my vision in place, that I could not look away until he did.

I'm sorry to bother you.

He choked it up finally after the longest moment. He left in a hurry.

You see, I didn't even do a thing. He was the rule breaker in this case, talking to a servant. A low life.

I was ordinary. He was not. That's how it is in Goldvail.

So that is why I'm here, at the town square, taking more scars upon my back for simply being near him.

When the whip hit my open back, I hissed, clenching my teeth and squeezing my eyes until tears ran down my cheek. I wasn't a stranger to the pain, but the pain was a reminder that I would never live a normal life.

I look up, maybe he would intervein as I have done nothing wrong. I see him watching me, his mask on as he stands next to the king and queen. He broke away first, staring into the floor. He wasn't going so save me. His concern meant nothing because he didn't even stop it.