👑Four

👑Chapter Four

The Ball was one hour away, and I was sweating. I barely hear Maria sighing as she crawls into bed and wraps herself in a blanket.

"Storm, it's so cold I can't even change into my dress," Maria whispers, looking between me and her sky blue gown. I pace the room frowning. My palms are sweaty, my cheeks are pink, and my body feels like it will erupt in flames. She watches me for a moment before speaking.

"Are you nervous or something?" Maria asks, causing my frown to deepen.

"That's the thing, I'm not nervous or scared. I'm not even angry. I'm just immensely overheating," I tell her. I wave my hand in front of my face for that extra bit of wind. My heart accelerates and I start to think something is wrong with me. I look over at my dress that lays over my bed. It's similar to before; material of silk, a low neckline that travels down to the waist and an open back. The green is slightly deeper like moss, deliberately chosen to make my bright emerald eyes stand out. Slowly my heart starts to calm and I'm feeling cooler than before. Maybe I had a panic attack, but there was nothing to panic about. I sit down on my bed, growing cold and my skin pricks as I turn off the fan.

"Thank God" Maria exhales, throwing her blanket over the chair. I search my brain for an explanation to my blood running warm. Was it the execution that happened this morning? That was many hours ago now. The realisation kicks in as I remember the one thing I have changed for the past three days. The pills. Maybe I was wrong to trust the Prince of Goldvail. It was too late to change my mind now; they're already down the toilet drain. I bite my lip, worried about the potential aftermath this decision may cause.

"Storm, are you okay?". Maria snaps me out of my thoughts. I look up at her, realising that while I was busy pondering, she had already slipped into her gown.

"Yeah, I'm okay, I think it was just a hot flush" I lie. My best friend looked beautiful in her gown. Her blue dress was hugging her figure, falling to meet the floor. It was plain but simple. Mine on the other hand always was the same. I subconsciously found myself searching the room, my eyes skimming past all the gold material decorating our bedroom, until it landed on something useful. An idea ignited. A dangerous idea involving a cloth of golden lace laying over the wooden vanity underneath our makeup.

"I don't want to begin to know what you're up to" Maria says, shaking her head and collecting the makeup falling to the ground.

"I'll meet you there." I tell her, smiling. She eyes me curiously before leaving, with a look that reads; don't do anything stupid. Taking the scissors from the drawers, I cut a leg slit into my new dress. Fully aware of the consequences, I start to stitch on the golden lace, securing it down the slit of the dress. Nothing makes me happier than humiliating them. They want me as their personal baby submarine? Well, I'll make them think twice about it. The worst form of insult is for a Greenblood to wear their colour of wealth and power. To wear gold is equivalent to taking the crown off their heads and putting it on your own. Tonight, I will drop the mask. Playing the part? I'm done playing. They want something from me, so it's time to take something from them.

***

As the golden doors slowly creak open, I step inside and am immediately struck by the grandeur of the room. The chandeliers sparkled overhead, casting a warm glow over the elegant crowd of men and women who had gathered for the evening's festivities. I felt a sudden rush of adrenaline as I made my way across the marble floor, my heels echoing loudly against the polished surface. I could sense the eyes of the crowd upon me, and I felt both exhilarated and self-conscious at the same time. I keep my head high, looking at every shocked face when their eyes travel over my dress. Soon, I only feel satisfaction. My body heats up, someone's presence wrapping around me like a blanket. Yet, he hasn't noticed I've arrived.