👑Five

👑
CHAPTER FIVE

The room fell silent as I counted my footsteps towards King Tibualt. Fifteen. My heart was beating so fast, I thought it was going to rip through my chest. I keep my eyes up the whole time, ignoring the repulsive glances. King Tibualt raised a glass, announcing my role in providing them an heir and I watch as the people cheer. Maria was stunned, staring at me with worry and a flicker of anger as she realised, I had kept this from her. The other servants showed mixed expressions, ranging from worry to jealousy and excitement. The Goldenbloods of course were thrilled, looking up at me with big smiles and wide eyes like I was an equal. In this moment, it was like I was one of them. Suddenly, they didn't see me as a Greenblood servant. Biting my tongue, my blood roared with fury. I was just a show piece for them. If the king cheers for me, then they cheer for me too.

Then he touches me. I feel his hand grab mine and raise it above our heads, sending the crowd into an erupt applause. I hold back a gasp as waves of heat lap my entire body. The king drops my hand roughly and my body relaxes. I look up to see his eyes filled with rage and his face full of fear. He hugs his hand close to his body, massaging it slightly as if my touch had harmed him. The queen watches curiously as her husband stumbles away from me. Fingers touching me through my dress, someone is pulling me from the King and Queen. My eyebrows furrow at what is happening, but the crown was too busy cheering to even notice. "This way, Goldie".

His fingers don't touch my skin, instead he wraps me in his suit jacket, and I find myself getting drunk off his scent. He holds my arm firmly but gently and takes me out the ballroom. Goldbloods come up to me, reaching for my hands to congratulate me. Prince Xaden slaps them away, shielding me. "Touch her and you die," he warns. My breath catches in my throat. Was he trying to protect me or them?

"What the hell are you doing?" I hiss at Prince Xaden. He doesn't answer.

"Where are we going?" I ask out of frustration.

He ignores me. I let out an annoyed scoff. He leads me through twists and turns, but it seems as if we are heading underneath the palace. The walls change, they are no longer beautiful gold designs but rough pale bricks. "It's for safety," he states. A guard lets us through, his eyes lingering on me for a few seconds before awkwardly looking away.

"Mine or theirs?" I snap as I try and loosen Xaden grip on my arm.

"I'm trying to help you, love." He pulls me into a dark room. My heart stops for a moment as I realise where I am. A cell. Fury burns through my veins as I struggle against him, but it was too late, and he was too strong. I stumble back, hearing the cell bars echo as he locks me in.

"Don't lock me in a cell then call me love." I seethe. He backs away slightly as if he knows I'm going to charge at him. I leap forward, reaching my arm through the bars, missing him by a centimetre. I clawed onto the metal, glaring at him, my blood boiling with rage.

"You had me almost fooled," I grit, "You're just like your father." I watch as his eyes soften; he steps closer. Close enough to grab.

"Is that what you think about me?"

I want to say yes. I want to grab him by the collar and make him hurt. My thoughts are racing so much that it starts to scare me. He treats me differently. He did treat me differently. Was I a fool to fall for his act? Was I a fool to think for a split second he was different?

"I don't think about you," I say barely breathing. My head spins, his eyes are putting holes into my skull as he inches closer. I can smell his aftershave and it makes me breathe a little lighter. He knows I'm angry. He knows he's too close to me. He knows I want to reach out and dig my nails into his skin. He knows something happens when I touch someone's skin, yet he takes that risk.

"Do it." His eyes glisten.

He wants me to hurt him. No, he wants me to trust him.

"Do it, Goldie." He challenges, his voice eager but with a sense of pain. He wants to trust me.

"I-I can't." My voice barely a whisper now.

He leans back, taking his scent with him. He looks down, then back at me with those gentle eyes.

"I'll get you a change of clothes," he says before leaving.

I drop to the ground, unable to stand on my own two legs. My hands are rough, my energy is drained, and my anger turns into tears. I want to know what's happening. He comes back, holding new clothes in his hands. He drops them in front of me through the bars.

"I'll be back tomorrow", he says, crouching down to my level. The Royals never crouch for a low life.

"If you have any questions, ask me. You don't need to concern yourself with anyone but me." He stands, lingering for a moment for any reply. I bite my tongue. I bite down all the things I want to tell and swallow them back.

When he doesn't receive an answer, he leaves.