👑 Two

Edited
꧁𝙳𝚘𝚗𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚟𝚘𝚝𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝!꧂

👑
CHAPTER TWO

The cafeteria was humming with servants gossiping about the King's dinner last night. With the curious stares constantly directed at me, I figure they were talking about Prince Xaden's very public interaction with me. I try to ignore them, focusing on my breakfast.  

Theo locks eyes with Maria before looking down at his hands. If it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me, I swear his cheeks look slightly pinker than before. Maria bites her bottom lip, in an attempt not to blush. My lips twitch, a smirk itching to spread across my face.

The seat beside me scratched the floor as someone sat down. My side eye caught the arm leaning on the table, tanned skin, toned arms and a smell of cinnamon bark I was familiar with. The air becomes warm, I roll up my sleeves. Emrys catches my eye and we both give each other a small smile. 

"How was last night?" Emrys asks us, while he glances around the room. 

I shrug, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning back in my chair. Maria rolls her eyes at me, unimpressed I was ignoring the topic on everyone's lips. 

"Prince Xaden actually spoke to her. Can you believe it? And he seemed quite fond of her."

"I wouldn't say that." Emrys scoffs suddenly. I shoot him a questionable look. Maria's hand flies up in the air out of desperation.

"You weren't even there." Maria speaks up loudly, pointing her finger at him.

"He's right," I stated, defending the possessive comment, "He's a Goldblood, a royal. He's not fond of me, and I nor him." 

Maria sighs, waving her hand as if I was speaking a different language. Emrys has a slight smirk playing at the corner of his lips. My eyebrow twitches, reading his face. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly, but it was almost as if he was jealous.

I bring my hands up to my chin, resting my elbows on the table. But it was as if time slowed down when I felt my elbow move the sharp knife off the table aiming for my foot. I was too slow to react, watching as the knife made it's way, pointed end first, only to be caught. Emrys had the reflexes of a cat, catching it by the handle. 

"You're like a magnet for knives." Emrys murmurs placing the knife away from me.

I blink, unable to properly register how quickly he caught it. His gaze burns my eyes as I bite my cheek. 

"So you aren't fond of the Prince or do you dislike him?" Emrys asks tentatively starting  the conversation I thought we had finished. I knew he was asking if I was attracted to him by the way he emphasised the word 'fond'.

"Why do you want to know?" I ask curiously. I haven't known Emrys for too long so I still have my mask up around him. Telling another person the truth was dangerous anyway. I only trust Maria with my feelings. Revealing my dislike towards the Royal family would make me seem untrustworthy, rebellious and deceitful. The whip scars on my back are a physical reminder of the times where I let my mask slip. I cannot let that happen again. It was bad enough Prince Xaden noticed I wasn't like the other women who swoon over him.

"Curious", he shrugs.

"Well that makes two of us."

Before he could ask another question, my eye caught the kitchen door opening. A guard was poking his head around, whispering in the ear to the other guard at the entrance. They do this often, exchanging looks and information. The guard's floating head soon disappears leaving the one by the entrance scanning the room, finally stopping at . . . Emrys? But then he moves his eyes to lock with mine. He stares long enough to make me shift in my chair. His intense gaze washes through me as I suddenly become aware of my every move. Finally, breaking eye contact, he starts pacing towards our table.