Chapter Eight

Cheyenne POV:

The following couple of weeks were uneventful. Jack and I were on the news less often, yet we still couldn't leave the club house due to all of this crazy bull shit going on.

Jack is becoming distant, having nightmares, screaming for 'daddy to stop'. Since his first nightmare, I've let him sleep next to me at night.

I walked downstairs after getting some clothes set aside for when Jack gets out of the shower.

"How's Jack?" Lana asked. "Not good. He's not the same anymore. It's worse than when we were living with dad." I replied and cringed at calling him that.

"The anticipation is always the worst. Expecting it to come, just waiting for it.. It can drive you crazy if you let it." Ryder said.

He's right. He's been through a lot, just like Jack and I. Maybe even more so.

"I don't know what to do, guys. I'm worried about him. I need to get him out of the house for a bit. Get him some fresh air." I told them. "You know it's not safe." Lana said. "I know." I said quietly and sighed.

I sat across from the couple and decided to change the subject.

"How are Sarah and Kade?" I asked. "Tired." Ryder said and laughed lightly.

I smiled lightly when I thought about Diana. I had finally gotten to meet her a few days prior. She had the most gorgeous set of blue eyes, like her mother and a head full of dark brown hair, like her father.

Jonah, on the other hand, was the spitting image of Ryder. He had Ryder's brown hair and brown eyes, while his personality was more like Lana.

He may only be a few weeks old but even a blind man could see what a sweet boy he was.

I noticed that Jack took a liking to the kids as well. The only time he has shown a genuine smile was around Jonah and Diana.

"Cheyenne?" I heard a small voice behind me.

"Hey, baby. How was your shower?" I asked, softly. "Good." He said quietly before sitting on my lap.

I sighed and hugged my boy close to me. I knew this was taking a toll on his mind and I didn't know how to help him.

I considered asking Lana to talk to him but she has been so busy with the baby, I haven't seen her around enough to ask her.

"You hungry, sweetheart?" Lana asked. "No." Jack mumbled and buried his face in my neck.

"You need to eat, Jack." I said, softly. "I said I'm not hungry, Cheyenne!" He yelled and stormed out of the kitchen.

I looked back to Lana and Ryder, baffled. He'd never spoken to me that way.

Marley POV:

I was about to walk downstairs for breakfast when I heard two little feet stomp into the room.

"Hey, big guy." I said when I saw Jack sit on the bed.

I frowned when I noticed the scowl on his face and sat next to him.

"You okay, dude?" I asked him. "I'm fine." He huffed.

I nudged him lightly, making him look at me.

"Come on, man. We're buddies. We tell each other everything, right?" I asked and smiled lightly down at him.

That's when I noticed the tears gather in his eyes. My frowned deepened and I wrapped an arm around him.

"Jack, what's wrong?" I asked, softly.

"I yelled at my sister. I didn't mean to. I'm just so mad all the time." Jack said, weakly. "Why?" I asked. "My dad. I hate him. I hate him for what he did to me. To Cheyenne. She protects me all the time and I can't do the same for her." He said as his tears fell.

"That's why your mad? You think you can't protect your sister?" I asked, causing him to nod. "It's not your fault, Jack. You're incredibly strong and so is your sister. You may think you can't save her now, but that will change as you grow." I tried to reassure him.

Jack only shakes his head.

"My dad beat her more than me. She kept getting in the way when he would try to hurt me, so he would punish her. I tried to save her once and that's how my arm got broken." He told me.

Dear God. This boy carries so much guilt for an eight year old. I can see the adoration for his big sister in his eyes.

"I wish she was my mom." He continued. "Just because she didn't give birth to you, doesn't mean she isn't your mother." I replied softly. "How?" Jack asked.

"Who feeds you?" I asked.

He looked at me confused before answering.

"Cheyenne." He replied. "Who buys your clothes for school, loves you and tucks you in at night?" I asked him. Again he replies, "Cheyenne." "So who is your mother?" He smiled lightly up at me. "Cheyenne."