Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Today was another day that Alison dreaded the most. One year. One year had passed since the incident. One year, Alison tried to put everything behind her only to face this day yet again.

"You alright there, Ariel?" Jason asked nudging her slightly as she daydreamed staring blankly in front of her locker.

"Yeah." She smiled back to him, already feeling better just by looking at the warmth of his eyes. Alison and Jason had been seeing each other for a while now.

"Will you be going to the studio today?" He asked.

"No, I told Madam Moreau that I'd take the day off today. Will you be working today?" She asked.

"I've already finished tuning the car last week."

"Do you... uh... want to go to the lake afterwards?"

"You just read my mind, Ariel." He smirked.

After school, they went home to drop their things and soon Jason picked her up from her home and drove off to the lake. The place had become their special sanctuary just for the two of them.

"You're extra gloomy today, are you alright?" He asked noticing the sullen expression.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"What do you really think about every time you're here?" He finally asked.

"I don't know. Things. Life. What ifs. Everything." She shrugged.

"That's a lot of thinking, huh?"

"What about you? What do you think about when you're here?"

"Naked girls." He said flatly while she scoffed disgusted.

"Seriously." She elbowed him which made him smiled.

"Same with you, I guess. Things. Life. What ifs. Everything."

"Can I ask you a question?" She debated whether to ask him or kept it to herself.

"Shoot."

"Is it always the three of you in the family? What uhm... what happened to your mom? Or you don't have to answer it, I understand."

"She left when we were young and it's always been just the three of us, though my dad is working for most of the time. So, I always try to fill the gaps for Loraine and be there for her." He seemed hesitant and tensed at the mention of his mother not wanting to elucidate the matter any further.

Reading his aggrieved and tensed expression, she did not question him any further, after all, everyone has their own problems and he might not be ready to tell his just like she planned to keep hers.

"You grew up and took care of Loraine even though you're still young yourself. I'm sure she looked highly upon you and loved you so, so much. You tried to take care of her however you can. You made her life so much brighter. You're an amazing person." She affirmed looking up to him. No one had acknowledged his sacrifices except Loraine, of course. But hearing from another person, especially from her, raised his self-confidence and gave him certain security.

"I guess, I am kind of amazing, right?" He smug, feeling content of her statement.

He walked her to the front porch as he always does, and wished her a good night.

"Good night. Drive safe, you must." She pretended to speak like Yoda making them both to chuckle. She went into her room, quickly took a shower and went back to her bed, her thoughts roaming dangerously back to the event that occurred a year ago, hoping that somehow, she could erase the memory while holding onto her phone, hoping that Jason would text her. Grateful that he was able to help her go through with the day. Soon enough, her phone buzzed elevating her heart but once she opened the message, she was appalled to read a similar message she once received a few months back.

It's been one year, Ally. A reminder of what you did to me exactly a year ago. Did you visit me, Ally?

-Unknown Number-

One year and it still haunts her.

WHO ARE YOU!

Her hands trembling as she typed.

It's only been one year and you've already forgotten your dear best friend. It's me Leah.

-Unknown Number-

Leah? But she's dead.