21: Second Trimester

18 WEEKS ALONG

"Sweetheart, I want to meet him."

Marisol smiled toward her mother then laid her head against the window. She was unsure about Grey's family meeting hers. She wasn't embarrassed by her mother, but she was embarrassed about her life. She was embarrassed about the abuse. Embarrassed by her scars. Embarrassed about her father. "You will, eventually."

"So how did you fall, Mrs. Evergreen? It must have been a nasty accident."

Samantha looked at Abigail with a sad smile. "Oh, I was painting something and I fell off the ladder."

"That sounds painful. Was your husband home?"

Samantha bristled. "No, he was at work."

"But he didn't come to the hospital?" Nolan asked skeptically. If Abigail was ever injured, he'd come right away to her aid.

"Uh, no. He's too busy," she said quietly. Marisol turned to face her mother, but she shrugged. She didn't fall. It was never an accident. Soon enough, they arrived at her family home. She got out and went to her mother's door.

"Do you want us to come in with you?"

"No, it's okay."

Marisol helped her mother up the steps and into their home. She sighed deeply as they entered, smelling the putrid scent of alcohol. Something cracked under her feet and she could tell it was glass. They must have gotten into one hell of a fight.

"Maybe you can come and stay with me for a little, mom? He doesn't know where I live. You'd be safe."

"I live him, Marisol, and he loves me. I know he does."

"If he did he would never hurt you like this. If he loved me he would have never..." She stopped, choking back her tears. "He would have never hurt me like he did."

"Go home, Marisol. I'll be fine."

"I think I should stay–"

"No," she said quickly. "You have a life, a boyfriend, a career...I'll be fine sweetheart. Go. Go. He'll be home soon."

Marisol, hesitantly, hugged her mother goodbye before turning around and leaving. She went back into the car and stayed silent until her stomach turned. They were on some fast road but she could tell it wasn't super busy. She sat up, putting her hand to her mouth.

"Stop the car."

"What?" Nolan asked.

"Stop the car!"

Nolan pulled over quickly and she opened her door. Taking off her seatbelt, she held her hair back as she threw up on the side of the road. Abigail came to her rescue, rubbing her back and taking her dark hair from her hands.

Marisol gagged again before throwing up more. It was odd for her to throw up so much and Nolan and Abigail knew that. After a few minutes, she wiped her mouth and stood up. Nolan handed her a napkin and she thanked him. "Sorry, I just...I-I don't know."

"Are you okay, Luna?"

She smiled at her title, nodding. "Yes. Can we stop and get some water please?"

When they arrived home, Greyson was pacing by the door. He came to her, pulling her into his arms. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"Marisol, sweetie, is your mother alright?"

She smiled at Irabella's voice. "She's okay. She f-fell." She pulled away then and rubbed the back of her neck. "I'm tired. I'm going to go take a bath."