Chapter 31 - Elliott

I paced the living room of the flat as I waited impatiently for Phoebe's response. I had had every intention of leaving things in her court and seeing if she wanted to contact me, but those headlines changed everything.

I knew she would be freaking out as soon as she saw them and I wondering if she had seen them already. My hands shook with the effort of not getting a drink to cope with this. Thankfully there was no booze kept here, not that my body cared.

The lads were still in bed, but I knew they would be up soon, and I wasn't ready to answer the inevitable questions that would follow. Especially as I didn't know any of the answers myself. I couldn't leave without a protection team knowing but I couldn't just stay here.

Then it hit me, I tapped the speed dial and Jake picked up on the second ring, "Yes?" he sounded alert enough that I didn't feel guilty I might have just woken him.

"Can you take me to where we dropped Phoebe last night?" I asked quickly.

"Of course, I just need to get up and I'll be right there." He replied.

"Who is it?" came a familiar voice, slightly muffled, down the phone.

"Is that Victoria?" I asked incredulously.

"I'll be there in fifteen." Jake said, ignoring my question and hanging up before I could ask it again.

I lowered my phone, well that had thoroughly distracted me from my own drama for a little while at least. Jake wasn't an unattractive man but Victoria had never shown any interest in anything outside of work. Aside from the occasional blush some of the things the guys said, I hadn't even known whether she was interested in men, women or both.

I shook my head, that was something for another time, I told myself. I tiptoed down the corridor to my room and grabbed my trainers and a hoodie. It wouldn't completely disguise me but was bland enough that I could hope that people wouldn't think to give me a second look.

Padding back to the living room and slipping my shoes on as the minutes ticked by. Checking my phone, I groaned. How had only four minutes passed? I began scrolling through twitter to pass the time. The streams of fan comments were an odd mix of jealousy and planning my marriage to Phoebe. There was nothing in between.

It was almost scary how quickly they had found out so much about Phoebe. So many people crawling out of the woodwork to say how well they knew her. If there was one thing I had learnt about fame, it was that it brought out the best and worst in people. Afterall, it had definitely brought out the worst in me.

I heard a key in the door and jumped up as Jake stepped through the door, "Have we got time for breakfast?"

I shook my head, "I'm sorry, I need to get to Phoebe." I ran a hand through my hair, "She's probably panicking right now."

The thought made my heart twist in my chest and I moved quickly to the door.

Victoria stepped out from behind him, perfectly well presented as usual but I noticed the tinge of pink in her cheeks.

"Do you want me to come?" she asked quietly.

I thought a moment, watching her embarrassment with mild amusement, "Yeah, that would be good. You and Cara are probably the best people to help us decide what to do next."

She nodded and met my eyes for the first time, "I've already called Kate from the brand management agency and they are getting someone to call me back in an hour."

"What would I do without you?" I laughed, bumping her with my hip before pulling her into a one-armed hug.

I saw Jake's lips tighten and immediately released her. He would never say anything, especially on the job, but I noticed that silent claiming.

He nodded approvingly at my reaction, "Let's get going then." He pointed to the door and we filed out ahead of him.

It was on the way down the stairs my phone buzzed. We need to talk.

I smiled, Already on my way. I texted back. Apparently, my impatience to get to her was actually going to help.

We can just call? Her response made me smile. Surely she wasn't going all shy on me again after the kisses we had shared?

It's fine, I'm already on my way. Be there soon. I sent back quickly.

I couldn't tell from the messages whether she was coping or not. Seeing her face to face would allow me to know and see for myself how she was doing.

"Do you remember where it was?" I asked Jake as we piled in?

Jake just grunted his confirmation, whilst Victoria twisted in her seat to face me. "Ok, catch me up. What happened last night?"

"You've seen the photos?" I asked.

She nodded, "But I know there is more to the story than just them so catch me up."

I took a deep breath, "I convinced her it was a date over dinner, we really clicked. Went to a bar afterwards and next thing I knew we were kissing." I could feel the grin on my face as I tried very hard to hide how much our time together had meant to me.

"Someone in the club took the pictures." Jake said, "I should have been watching more carefully but I didn't want to intrude." He confessed.

"Hey, it's not your fault." Victoria said, reaching through the centre console to place a comforting hand on his arm.

"Yeah, man, it's not your fault. It's mine, I should have insisted on leaving before we kissed." I reassured.

"I still should have been watching more carefully." He mumbled, starting the car and pulling out into the early morning traffic.

My phone buzzed again and I looked down at it, expecting to see a message from one of the guys or Phoebe again.

But it was a text from a private number, "Let her go before she gets hurt." It read.

I felt my blood run cold and typed the reply before I could stop myself. Who is this?

An old friend. Came the cryptic response.

Let who go?

Now now, let's not be stupid. Don't drag the poor girl into this.

Into what?

This time there was no response and I stared at my phone and the odd exchange.

"Victoria?" I said nervously.

"Yeah?"

"Someone is sending me creepy messages."

She turned and frowned, "Is it one of the boys messing around?"

I placed my phone into her outstretched hand. "I don't think so."

She read the text exchange quickly her frown deepening. "Don't engage with them anymore and let me know if you get anymore messages. We will look in to getting you a new number ASAP."

I took the phone back and stared at the messages, looking for some clue as to who the sender was.

"We're here." Jake's voice broke through my inner meltdown and I flinched and looked up.

The building looked different in the daylight, prettier but somehow but it was the thought that Phoebe was inside that really made my heart pound.

I wanted to rush up there and pull her into my arms, promising everything would be ok. But the truth was I couldn't make any such promise. Not with the press and fans reacting the way they were.

I had seen the way she responded to me and I was more certain than ever that there was something between us. I just hoped she felt the same.