Chapter Fourteen

Eight inches of pleasure sounded good. Tulip even had her outfit in mind; cream, lace, and see-through underneath a knee-length cardigan. But she couldn't encourage herself to change out of her leggings and t-shirt to get sexy. Her stomach was full and she'd finally, after days of trying, got Sydney to speak more English. French was still making an appearance but only with the slick statements, she didn't want anyone to comprehend.

Tulip didn't know who was at fault for the youngster's cleverness; herself, Jasper, or Amellia's fine rearing. Whoever it was she wanted to give them a hard side-eye even if she had to look in the mirror and glared at her reflection.

Before the sun rested on the day, She sent Austin a text telling him swinging by her house wasn't an option and she didn't know when it'll ever be. It was difficult tapping 'send' but she didn't want to string him along. Dick was good. She loved sex but there was nothing like the warm, tingle that started in her chest and bloomed up to her head as she watched Sydney settle in bed and drift to sleep.

Truth be told, she was falling for Austin but she'd already loved Sydney since the day she felt her first kick her abdomen in calculus class. He just couldn't compete. She had to do right by her this time which meant putting her first.

Sunday night was a dream. Monday was a blur as she dog-paddled in the deep end of being a working 'mom' consulting with clients and managing Sydney. Tuesday came and went with one minor hiccup. Why the hell did Lachlyn have to bring his dog Poddle over? The four-legged creature had the little girl asking for one of her very own. Tulip hadn't said 'no' that many times in her life. Wednesday arrived and she was where she was supposed to be promptly strolling in the cafe and he was already there.

Mr. Irvine, no first name was given in the email he sent her two days ago, wasn't just prompt. He was early. Early as hell. A fact that he informed her of as soon as she pulled out the chair in front of him. It wasn't her fault that he showed up twenty-three minutes ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, the terseness of his immaculate copper face conveyed the complete opposite. She ignored the way he turned up his nose as she ended her call with Neisha. She needed to see how Sydney was doing back at the office. The girl hadn't been away from her side since she was placed in her care. She had to make sure things were fine.

"Have you ordered, yet?" She asked, sitting her satchel purse next to her in the roomy tufted leather chair and she caught him checking the designer's metal medallion.

Was he one of those? The type of person that thought the name brands you flaunted determined the status and value of a person. She couldn't decide with a hundred percent accuracy but he dripped in luxurious labels. Prada sunglasses sat atop his silky arctic white hair. A silver Bulova watch adorned the wrist he flicked toward the menu and the velvet Versace coat, which was too hot to be wearing during June but she wasn't going to tell him, clung to his lithe torso.

"I don't drink caffeine after ten." He retired from his leisure position and sat up straight. "It gives you wrinkles."

"Well, that's cool." She tipped her hand up, beckoned the waiter, and ordered an iced brew. Once the waiter hustled back to the bar she crossed her legs, giving Mr. Irvine her attention. "You had to have known Amelia a long time for her to put you in charge of Sydney's trust."

He sighed with a look of disappointment, then rolled his thin shoulders back. "Amelia was my dearest friend. However, this meeting doesn't pertain to her."

"I know. I was just—"

"Making unnecessary small talk." He abruptly cut her off.

"Its Southern hospitality." Tulip's eyes narrowed, locking in on him as she inched closer to the table. "There's no need for rudeness."