Chapter Twenty-Two

Tulip didn't know how she won the jackpot in the friend department but Niesha was a total prize. Sidney hadn't even seen Jasper, she was in the backseat on a 'mission to save the ice cream.' It was what the little girl called it but really it was just a trip to the corner store for two bags of ice. Either way, it was enough time for Jasper to vacate the premises and for Tulip to regain her composure. After three deep breaths, Tulip tucked those hurt feelings and sad memories back away in the closet she swept years wrestling them into and locked the door with a padlock and hoped they'd stay there in the future.

As soon as Sidney returned, skipping into the backyard leading the way as Neisha toted two bags of ice and Lachlan wheeled the cherry stained crib with his four-wheel dolly Tulip had reclaimed her homeostasis. The rest of the event went as she and Neisha planned it; playing baby shower games, bring out the cake, and wrap the festivity with Diana Ross' I'm coming out which gave way to dancing; from everyone there. At the time of planning Tulip didn't know how the song related to having a baby but as it played she was happy her client added. It created her new favorite memory; dancing with Sidney.

"Okay, that's it." Tulip said, closing the chapter book Sidney picked up from the bookstore a couple of days ago.

"No." Sidney whined snuggled comfortably in her bed. Her hand instantly went to Tulip's arm stopping her from sliding off the bed. "One more. I'm not even that sleepy."

Tulip sat the paperback book in her lap reciting the girl's words back to her. "Not even that sleepy, which implies that you are sleepy. Plus, it's past your bedtime."

The clock on the nightstand next to the full size bed read eight o'clock. She let Sidney pick between two options for her bedtime, seven or eight. The girl picked eight and getting her off to bed at the pre agreed time wasn't too much of a hassle. Tulip wasn't surprised, the parenting book said giving kids options makes them feel like they're a participating party in decision making which makes transitions, routines, and punishments easier.

It had only been two weeks but their new routine was working fine. At six in the morning, Sidney woke up and shuffled in her room even though she was awake. The girl liked watching her apply her make-up as if she was taking visual notes she was going to use when it was her time to paint her face to perfection. Once Tulip was finished she'd usher the girl out the room to go get ready and be down for breakfast.

The waffle maker Tulip splurged on after watching a video on YouTube had gotten plenty of use. They had waffles all types of ways from buttermilk to loaded bacon and cheese. Fruit and orange juice was always in the mix that also included conversation. Conversations that were mainly just Tulip making a statement while the little girl chatted most of the time. Tulip didn't mind. She learned so much from the little girl in those thirty minutes like she hated glitter because one time a classmate of her's tripped and accidentally spilled a container of the sparkly substances in her hair. She went to Haiti with her mom to meet her adoptive family when she ate so much dous makos she got a stomach ache then admitted it was worth it. She'd never learned how to skateboard, ride a bike, and skate.

Tulip immediately insisted that she had that trio on the list of joy and Sidney did it with a gigantic smile.

Tulip loved their breakfast time. It was her new favorite way to start the day and their evening routine was one of her favorite ways to end the day. Six o'clock was time for dinner which during the weekdays they cooked together and during the weekends they had takeout. Tulip thought it was fine since five days out of the week Sidney had a healthy meal. It was fine to have pizza, tacos, or a burger and fries on Saturday and Sunday. It was a nice compromise between her old self and the new responsible person she was becoming. Plus, she could leave work at five on the dot like she did during the week.