Chapter Thirty-One

The Townsend-Williams engagement party went off without any drastic hiccups as long as you don't classify seven-year-old Ivan Williams snatching his aunt's future mother-in-law's Supremes wig off and running around the ballroom yelling 'I found Rocket. Now, I'm the Star-Lord.' The fiasco lasted for about two minutes but it was talked about during the festivities, not to mention the entire ordeal was caught on a preteen's phone and had the verge of going viral by tomorrow afternoon. Either way, the event was a memorable one for the profoundly in-love couple that didn't let the child's hijinks or the deejay's hiccup with the playlist get in the way of them celebrating their love.

Tulip, however, was dog-tired by eleven. She'd been at the venue since five, in an oversized t-shirt and jeans sitting up tables, and chairs, and decorating the spot to Lillian Townsend's whimsical standards. The mid-thirty-something described her dream engagement party in two words; memorable and extravagant.  The extravagant was easy to obtain since The Townsend-Williams duo weren't just a couple but business partners for one of Houston's well-known and hottest social club. Tulip could vouch for the food, it was almost good enough to take one's eyes away from the acrobatic, rhythmic work of the performers.

Tulip sighed then kicked off her strappy heeled sandals. She needed to be barefooted for the last task that stood in the way of driving home, showering the sweat that accumulated between her skin and her champagne slip dress then collapsing into bed. 

"I hate confetti." Niesha declared, with one hand on the broomstick and a coffee mug in the other she glared at the gold and turquoise glossy confetti blanketing the wood floor. "We need to start charging extra for this."

"A fifty-dollar surcharge sounds enticing right now," Tulip said then took a sip of her coffee. The caffeinated liquid warmed the chills that nipped her skin since the room lacked the abundance of body heat it had before. "But I doubt that'll deter them. They love the fanfare and it does look beautiful floating from the rafters."

Niesha nodded, tugging at the bra strap under her silk champagne blouse that was stunningly paired with a burgundy suit and pumps. "They deserve it too. They've been together for eight years. Endured two bouts of cheating and a baby on the side. I'm surprised she said yes."

"He is too, that's why he dropped a stack and this shindig," Tulip stated as she started sweeping from the farthest point away from Niesha so they could meet in the middle. "Cause I'd be long gone."

"I mean...me too." Niesha gave her a nod of agreement. "But they went to counseling and worked out all their grievances. She looked blissfully happy and we're doing the wedding too so I'm happy for them."

"Our coins are secure. They're downpayment for December already slid into the account." Tulip put her math degree to work balancing the books and tending to all the accountant matters when she saw the payment in the account late one day last week and did a happy dance in her therapeutic office chair. She wasn't quite sure if the off-again on-again couple would back it to the altar but at least Niesha wouldn't be penalized for their relationship status deteriorating. "Winter weddings are fun."

"Your lack of enthusiasm tells me all that I need to know about Jasper dropping by yesterday."

Tulip shook her head, her lackluster statement was centered all around the notion of winter weddings. They were complete hassles along with the fact that it was a destination one too. The couple wanted snow and the element brought even more uncertainties into the plan. Flights getting delayed was a normal occurrence but throw in a blizzard as well and you'll be guaranteed a night of phone calls, improvising decorations from card stock paper, and chugging hot cocoa into the wee hours just to pull off dazzling ceremony and reception. Montana did look nice that time of year so at least she'll get some good shots for the website for the new year.