Chapter Forty-Eight

Tulip was hesitant to let Jasper take up the reins and actually relax. She didn't reach for another biscuit and chill while he went to go get Sidney. She waited, glancing over at the hallway listening for a noise that would inform her that her assistance was needed. But that sound never came. Instead, Sidney appeared skipping towards the table with Jasper in tow and a smile on her face. He gave her a double thumbs up and she let out the breath she was holding and relinquished the doubt that clouded her mind. As he handed her the platter of biscuits she decided to do something she hadn't done since Sidney showed up on her porch; she decided to live in the moment.

She concluded that the past should stay where it was so she took two biscuits because the first one didn't count and joined in on the conversation about the events Jasper had in store for them.

Tulip was a planner, detailing everything down to the littlest aspect but not Jasper. He left room for an unscheduled adventure. So, after the tour of his expansive property that also included the vineyard, they explored all the wildflowers Wildseed Farm had to over and when Sidney stopped twirling with a firewheel behind her ear to proclaim she was J'ai faim he took them to his favorite spot in town for a burger and fries. Tulip however had a Ceasar salad, they were actually growing on her and she was more surprised about that than the comfort that washed over her as she sat in the booth with Sidney by her side and Jasper across from them.

The quell of comfort proved to be a long lasting feeling as day was coming to an end and she lounged out on the tan chaise in the media room. She twirled one of her braids around her finger enjoying the first r-rated movie free of talking animals since Sidney was tucked in her bed and deep in sleep land.

"Jeffery Wright can literally play any character." Jasper said, lounging on the chaise next to her as Muddy Waters appeared on the screen. "Cadillac Records should've earned him an Oscar, Emmy, or something. You were robbed, man."

Tulip chuckled, tossing a glance over at him happy to be in the company of someone that didn't frown at talking to the screen. "You must not have seen him as Peoples in Shaft. That movie should have got him an Oscar."

"You really think they would nominate Shaft for an Academy Award." He gave her a look and she immediately shook her head.

"Award or not." She toyed with the hem of the blanket on her lap. "He's a damn good actor."

He nodded and she instantly ejected from the conversation as her favorite scene came on the massive screen that took up the entire wall. Her hand stilled and she kept her eyes glued on Beyonce's performance of Etta James belting out the last song of the film. I'd Rather Go Blind. The notes that sounded at the beginning of the song felt like the chords to her heart and chest as the emotions in the singer's voice ignited her own a smirk found its way on her face. She was wanting for those words he'd always say when they watched any movie with singing. TC, this isn't a sing along. To her surprise those words didn't come. Instead, a sniffle followed by him clearing his throat claimed the place of his sarcastic comment.

"Are you crying?" She asked and quickly received her answer as he abruptly wiped the tear from her cheek and acted as if nothing happened. She was going to drop it and go back to watching the movie but something in her yearned to know the reason behind his change in behavior.

"Why are you shedding tears over here?" She tried to come off playful but the humor was seeped out of her when he turned to her. "Jasper, it's fine. Beyonce has the effect on all of us."

It's not Bey. It's you." His eyes took in every inch of her face before settling back on her eyes. "I feel that way about you and I know..." He stopped, looking over her shoulder as his lip quivered. "I know I lost you and I'll never be able to get you back. I'll always love you but I'll never be able to hold, kiss you, make love to you and that hurts but not as much as..." A stream of tears rolled down his face as he refocused on her. "I want you to be happy if that's with Austin or any other man because TC, you deserve the best of everything. You deserve great love."

"I thought that was you." She breathed out and then covered her hand over her mouth as liquid slid over her fingertips. She wiped her face as he peered at her stunned. "You're giving up. I thought you were going to work it. Fight for us. For Sidney. For me. But you're doing it again. Quitting!"

She sprung up from the chaise and hurried towards the door but his urgency was swifter as he cut off her path.

"You told me the only thing here for me was Sidney." The intensity of his voice was only matched with the briskness of the rise and fall of his chest.

"If that was true do you think I would've let you take care of me after the carnival, eat dinner with us all the evenings; be in this room with you right now." She shook her head and ignored the moisture on her face. "I practically ran away from you last night because all I want...." She stopped herself.

"What do you want?" He asked but she remained silent setting her eyes on the rolling credits on the screen. He clasped his hand together. "Tell me what you want. Please. I'll give you whatever you want." He nodded to himself. "You want me to fight for you then I'm fighting for you. Fuck all that I said over there." He sternly pointed to the chaises. "I love you. I want you. I will hold you. I will kiss you and make love to you and I'll never leave you...again. Ever. Never."

She looked at him with fear on her face. "You promise?"

"With all the life inside of me." He caressed her face. "I'd rather die than leave you again."

"Jasper." She exhaled his name as if it held all the wants, hopes, and wishes accumulated in her mind. She wrapped her hands around his wrist. "Show me how much you want, how much you love me. I want to feel it. Make love to me."

She couldn't believe those words flowed from her mouth but they were the truth and when his lips touched hers a shock shot through her body reviving something that had died in her all those years ago. 

What do you think is going to happen next?

Do you think Tulip is making a mistake? Do you believe Jasper?

What do you think Jasper's kiss revived in her?