Chapter 19

I haven't opened my eyes yet, but I can tell that it's morning already. The bed feels cold as I reach my hands out to where Dex should be, but I only feel sheets. Disappointment overwhelms me, but then I remember I'm in his bed and the embarrassment factor begins to sink in instead. All of his roommates are going to know that I slept here last night.

I pull back the blanket and climb out of his bed. I grab my jeans from the floor and yank them up my legs, but I don't want to wear the tank I've been sleeping in. I pull it off and manage to locate my bra on the floor. I know I probably shouldn't, but I reach down and open one of Dex's dresser drawers. It appears to be full of socks and underwear, so I close it and reach for the next one. I find exactly what I was looking for. I grab a red t-shirt that reads BU Hockey across the chest in bright white letters. I pull it over my head, but I'm swimming in it. I grab the hem on the lower right side and begin to twist. I manage to create a small knot, making it fit a little better. I find my flannel shirt, still on the desk chair, and slide my arms into the sleeves leaving the front unbuttoned. After I run my fingers through my hair, I decide to venture downstairs to find Dex.

When I open his door, I can see that all the other bedroom doors are still closed. Everyone else must still be sleeping off the party from last night. Just as my feet hit the last step and I walk into the living room; the front door opens and Dex steps inside holding two coffee cups and a small paper bag.

"Nice shirt," his grin lights up his entire face. "Sorry I didn't wake you, but you looked like you were sleeping so comfortably. I got coffee, but I wasn't sure how you take yours, so I grabbed some little creamers and sugar packets," he says waving the small bag at me.

We both sit on the couch and I add some cream and sugar to my cup before sipping the hot coffee. He flips the TV on but we both look towards the stairs as we hear the creaking of someone coming down the steps. Logan appears, rubbing his hand over his face and up through his hair as he walks into the room.

"Fuck, man. I drank way too much last night. I think Cami is super pissed at me," he says.

I see Dex grin, "What'd you do this time?" he asks as if this is a regular occurrence.

"Uh...I'm not really sure. I think I may have danced with another girl or something. It's all a little fuzzy at this point. I remember her yelling at me and then coming home alone," he says looking up and noticing that I'm in the room too. "Well...well...well, you two look pretty cozy." I just smile at him and take another sip of my coffee.

A few minutes later we're joined by Chris and Avery who sit beside each other on the other couch. I feel a slight shift in Dex's demeanor. He looks toward Avery and I can feel his annoyance with her, but I'm not sure why. Where is this coming from?

"So, Avery, I know you're Chris's girl but we need to have a little chat about boundaries," he says roughly. I guess I'm going to find out why the shift in his attitude.

Chris reacts immediately, "Wait. What the fuck is going on here?"

"Well first I got some really annoying phone calls last night and then I read some pretty fucking disturbing texts this morning. I'll give you one guess who they came from and I can fucking guarantee that your girl had something to do with them," Dex explains. I gently touch his arm in a weak attempt to calm him. It seems to help a little, but I can still see the anger flashing in his eyes.

"Avery, what did you do?" Chris turns toward her on the couch.

Avery's head falls to her hands. Her face looked completely crushed as the realization sets in. I can't tell if she's crying or not, but she keeps her head down and her voice is shaky when she finally speaks, "I'm so sorry Dex. I drank a little too much last night and then we came back here and I saw you and Mia on the couch and I must've texted Rachel."

"Oh shit, Avery, what did you start?" Chris asks his eyes going wide.

"I know, I'm sorry. It won't ever happen again," she says finally uncovering her face and I can see wet streaks running down her cheeks.

Dex cautiously begins to speak again, and I can tell he's trying to choose his words carefully. "I get that you're sorry, I just want you to understand that when you come in this house you have to respect our privacy. I know you and Rachel are friends, but she has no right to know what is going on with me or my life, especially relating to Mia. I will not subject Mia to her wrath, it's not fair." I'm stunned when Dex finishes speaking. I can't believe that Avery told Rachel. I guess I didn't realize they were that close. This explains Rachel calling last night. My mind immediately begins to wonder what she could have texted him. Should I ask?

Dex squeezes my hand and leans closer to me, "Let's go back upstairs." We make our escape from the now heavy room. Back in his room he sits on the edge of his bed and I can't help but feel a little nervous.

"Do I even want to know what she texted you?" I manage to squeak out the words.

He takes a deep breath, "You can read them if you want, but to sum it up she really just wanted to know who I was with and what we were doing." He uses air quotes to emphasize the "doing" part. "She sent them last night when we were otherwise occupied, so I didn't even see them until I woke up this morning and I didn't respond to any of them." He hands me his phone with the messages already open on the screen. I see they're all timestamped around two in the morning. I don't really want to read them, but one happens to catch my eye and seems to lodge itself into my brain.

*Who are you with? Are you fucking her?!?!

I cringe and hand him the phone back, "I don't really want to read them, but I am tempted to write my own message telling her to back off." He smiles as I climb onto the bed beside him.

"What should we do today?" he asks with a sly smile, "Unless you already have plans?"

"No plans really." I shrug. I do need to shower and change at some point, which will require going home. "I should probably call my parents and check in, but maybe I'll do that tomorrow after I've been through my first day of classes," I think out loud.

I lay back on his bed, feeling myself sink into the puffy comforter, as it puffs up around my head. I pull my feet up setting them flat on the bed, so my knees are up. Dex moves alongside me, laying on his side with his head resting on his hand, propped up by his elbow. "Stay here with me again tonight," he says asking but not really asking.

I shake my head, "I can't. I don't have any clothes and my books are all at the apartment and classes start tomorrow."

"I'll take you home to get clothes and anything else you need," he starts and I know he can still see the look of concern on my face as he continues, "Don't worry. I have to go to campus for class in the morning too. I'll make sure you get to where you need to be." He takes his free hand and runs his finger along my jawline before trailing it down between my breasts and down to my stomach, stopping near my belly button. My body instantly warms at his touch and my mind is racing as I think of staying here with him again. Excitement is coursing through just at the thought of spending another night with this man. He held me for hours last night while I slept and I want to feel that warmth and that close connection with him again.

"Okay," I smile up at him. At my words he bends his head down and places his lips on mine.