twenty

Elle McBriar
May 13th, 1 year and 170 days since the first zombie report

It's been a week since the attacks.

We're all trying to focus on something positive. But it's kind of hard when I can barely move and Megan's baby is up all night crying.

I closed my notebook and shoved it under the mattress in the bed.

I woke up this morning with a weird pit in my stomach. And I'm thinking maybe it's because it's my birthday tomorrow?

I'm going to be 18. Which shouldn't be a big deal because it's not like I can do anything. And it's not a big deal. I don't really wanna do anything for it.

I was lounging around in bed, stretching and gazing at the roof when there was a slight knock at the door.

"Come in." I heard. I smiled as Paxton came into the room, "I didn't know of you were awake or not." He shrugged.

"How're you feeling?" He asked, brushing his soft fingers against my cheek. I shrugged, "I'm fine now. I still look ugly as hell but nothing hurts."

Paxton scoffed, "You could never look ugly. But let's just be thankful you're bruises are healing nicely." I nodded.

Paxton was sat on the edge of the bed, laughing at the fact that my bruise looks like a macaroni shape when we heard the door swing open.

Alex's frantic voice screamed.

We shot out of bed and ran down the stairs, "What? What the hells going on?" I ask, looking wide-eyed at Alex.

He was catching his breath, "T-there's another body. A h-human one. On the road." He pointed to the road alongside our driveway.

Paxton, Penny and I ran down the driveway, stopping in our tracks at the mutilated body on the road.

I could see the skid marks where the tires of the car tried to swerve.

I could smell it from here and covered my nose with the smell. "I'm definitely not going to go and investigate it. It's obviously dead." I frowned.

"Where the hell are they all coming from?" Penny whined, standing behind me. I shook my head, "I have an idea."

Paxton held my arm to get me from walking closer but I shook it out of his grip. I pointed to the capital 'M' carved into the persons skin.

"What could it stand for?" Penny said. I closed my eyes, "Mason."

"I noticed it on a gold chain on all the guys who were with Mason that night he tried to kill me."

* * *

I asked Elaine about it and she said she knew nothing about it.

"They has no idea I was tailing them I swear. I was so careful." Elaine said truthfully, fiddling with her fingers anxiously.

What the hell is going on?

"Okay are we being tracked or something? Because I know for damn sure that weird shit has been happening ever since Elle killed Mason."

I looked at Alex and he looked at me. We've been through so much shit together. Surviving the elevator fall, the fire, Mason! When will it end?

"Elaine said she killed everyone at the camp right? So who the hell is left? Tyler, Jared, Avery, Mason, Sophia? They're all dead!" Paxton said frustratingly.

I rubbed my hand over his shoulder as he relaxed a tiny bit. I stayed quiet.

There must be some connection? Stuff like this doesn't just happen!

Paxton ribbed a comforting hand over my knee as it shook slightly. What do we do.

"We're not safe here." Megan spoke up. We all stayed quiet because we knew it was true.

But the thing is, we can't move again. From New York, to LA to Washington? It's too much activity. If we move again, they'll find us.

"I knew that surviving a zombie apocalypse would be hard... but this is next level shit." Alex said.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. All of us turned our heads, eyes wide as we stayed completely still.

"You girls got find the kids, now." Alex whispered as we tip toed out of the kitchen. I felt my heartbeat in my ass as I shook with fear. I crept into the room Riley and the baby was and closed the door.

Megan grabbed her son and held him against her chest, rocking him so he stayed quiet. Penny and Elaine sat on the floor with her head against the closet door.

We were sitting under the windows, where we couldn't be seen. Just in case.

"Is there a way we can close the curtains?"  Megan said. I nodded my head.

Quickly lifting my body, I peered out the windows. Seeing no one, I dove towards the curtains and pulled them shut.

"DUCK." I screamed. I landed hard on my ass as an arrow came flying through the window.

It landed on the floor next to the bed. My heart was beating like crazy as the baby began to cry. "No honey shh, it's okay." Megan soothes the baby.

Riley was shaking in my arms as he looked up at me with terrified eyes. He shouldn't have to experience this.

"It's okay. We're fine. We're just gonna lay low for a while." I whispered, my eyes going back to the arrow.

We stayed there for a while. Not talking, not moving. Barely even breathing.

We hadn't heard anything from the boys and I just pray they're alright.

I haven't heard movement downstairs for at least 20 minutes.

A creak in the stairs caught my attention. I looked at Penny and Megan who all had the same expression. Elaine grabbed myself hand and squeezed it tight. I held my breath, hugging Riley close to me.

Footsteps were quiet but heavy as it closed and closer to the door.

The door handle shook and I felt like crying. But when it opened and the two faces of Alex and Paxton came into view, I cried. Breathing a sigh of relief.

Riley jumped out of my arms and ran to his brother as the others stood up.

I stood up too, catching my breath.

"What the hell happened? You guys were radio silent?" Megan said, slapping Alex.

"We had to check the perimeter of the house. Which is clear, by the way."

"It's clear? Is that why an arrow came through the window?" I said, pointing to the curtain which was flapping with a slight breeze.

Alex looked at Paxton. They both frowned.

"What are you not telling us?" Elaine said with a frown.

Pax pulled a piece of card from his back pocket. "It's an invitation."

To the guests of Winchester House,

You are all invited to a dinner and a tour of Ottoman Laboratory on May 14th. Wine, cheese and light chatter will be served.

34B, Lakeview Drive, Washington.

We expect to see you at 7pm sharp.

Theme is... fancy dress. So a suit and tie will suffice.

From, the head of the Science department.

* * *

hiiii

do you think they should go??