Chapter 49

——-
3 years ago, before Sera's return

After one of his battles with the Azarks, Lucien sits in a dark room, the light of flickering magic stones around him.

Books, well-cared for from the way each one lines the walls in a neat fashion, each cover and lettering on the title pristine and crisp, like they were still freshly made, surround him on all sides.

There's a table in the center of the room, tomes opened displaying historical pictographs and stories in a lyrical scripts, and among them Lucien sits, baring his chest.

There was no major injury from the battle. But the sharp iron scent of blood hung heavy in the air, nonetheless. It came from the deep cuts on his arms and chest, from which blood was gathered with a silver spoon in crystal containers.

"Are you sure you want me to do this?" The Elder asks, a question in his tremulous voice.

"Do it" They were already halfway through the process. Lucien didn't care about what kind of his pain his body was about to go through. Everyday, the pain his heart felt being separated from Sera was eating away at him.

"If this will bring her back, I'm willing to give anything"

"Understood"

There's a crackling fire in the fireplace, licking up the iron poker that sits in it, turning red, then yellow with the bright heat of the fire.

"I'll have to stop your wounds with heat, since my mana would contaminate your blood for the next experiments if I healed you with magic. "

The Elder was no healer either, so he was not knowledgeable on how to sew up wounds like Sera taught, which was the only other possible way to heal the deep cuts. The option of bringing in another healer was impossible, when these experiments had to remain a secret.

Lucien hisses as the sharp heat of the iron poke presses against his skin, sealing the deep cut so that it wouldn't bleed out.

The smell of sizzling, burning flesh fills the air.

Summoning magic always required royal blood. To make the one-way ticket that could only happen twice, work a third time, the Elder, with all his knowledge, would have to study and experiment until he got everything right.

Using the fresh blood Lucien provided.
——-

" No" shaking her head, Sera rejects Lucien's proposal.

Lucien doesn't look surprised. This was something he expected. Barely any parts of the plan were working as Icaros had promised it would. And he'd made Sera angry.

But he feels relieved to be able to finally share part of the heavy load off his chest.

Icaros looks up and pleads with Sera,

"Miss Sera, please, let me explain. The King has done so much for you so that-"

"I'm not playing these games anymore, Icaros. Lucien wanting to marry me? Then why did he make me his mistress?! Why won't he let me see my son!"

Nodding, Lucien tries to explain:
"-everyone out!" Icaros interrupts him, clearing the room.

Pointing to the 3 noblemen who remained in the room, who had seen everything happen from start to finish,

"Take them to the secret location"

"Yes Captain"

The knights hurl the full grown noblemen, weaker than the knights who are built for fighting are, and unable to put up a proper fight, over their shoulders, and run off.