Loyal

Amara

Tonight was a hard night. I hadn't heard from Ryder in days and I was very worried about him. I tried to go to sleep, but I was making up a bunch of bad scenarios in my head.

Fortunately, after tossing and turning for about two hours, I managed to fall asleep, but it didn't last long.

I slowly started to gain awareness of my surroundings. I could hear a strange creaking sound and I couldn't keep my eyes closed for long.

When the sound got louder and I heard a thud, I immediately shot out of my bed and stood up holding whatever I found beside me.

My vision was still blurry at first, but I could make out a big figure on the floor.

I took a few seconds to regain my calm and then breathed out.

"If you m-move, I'll s-scream" I said trying to sound confident.

And failing.

I heard a chuckle, a very familiar deep chuckle too.

I raised an eyebrow, "This isn't funny!" I yelled.

"Amara, you're threatening me with a pillow and with that cute face, what do you want me to do?" I heard the man say.

Just then, I realized who I was talking to.

"Ryder!?" I yelled.

He shushed me and stood up, "No one can know I'm here" He said putting his finger against my lips.

"Why? It's your house and speaking of which, why did you come in through the window? Did you have to scare me like that-"

"There are people guarding the house and I don't want anyone to know I'm here" He explained, "Plus, it's way more romantic that way" He said giving me a dazzling smile.

"Why would you need to be romantic with me?" I asked with a nervous chuckle.

"You've no idea" He whispered tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I was confused and embarrassed.

Why does he have to act like this and make me think-

"I can't stay here for long" He said.

"You came all the way here only to see me for ten minutes and leave again?" I asked and he hummed in reply, "You're crazy" I said letting another chuckle escape me.

"You've seen nothing yet baby. Trust me"

"What's the point in doing that?" I asked.

"I was going crazy wanting to see you" He mumbled.

"You could've facetime me or something" I laughed subtly.

"No" He said wrapping his arms around my waist and picking me up which made me squeal, "I wanted to feel you" He whispered as he put me on the bed making me sit on his lap.

I was flustered and didn't know what to say.

Do I say I miss him? Do I say nothing?

"Tell me about your days" He said breaking the ice and putting a smile on my face.
________

I woke up feeling extra happy today. Maybe because of Ryder's unusual visit. He made me promise not to tell anyone. He said it would be our little secret.

"What's got you so happy today?" Gordon asked getting our breakfast ready.

"Nothing" I said.

He raised an eyebrow, "You're moody as fuck in the morning"

"No, I'm not" I scoffed.

"Something happened" He smirked and leaned against the counter.

"Just a good dream, I guess" I said.

It did seem like a dream to me. It was so quick. He only stayed for half an hour and then left. It felt as if he was never there in the first place.

"I see" He said giving me a knowing look and going back to making coffee.

"Have you seen Mary? I haven't seen her in a few days" I said and watched as his features hardened.

"She's-she's okay. She's just not feeling so well" He said.

"Why?" I asked worried, "Did anything happen?"

"No sis, don't worry" He said patting my back, "She'll be back before you know it"

"Okay" I mumbled.

I have to look more into it.

"So you said her boyfriend-"

Before I could finish my sentence, he shushed me by putting his hand on my mouth.

"Ew, get your dirty ass hand away from my mouth, who knows where it's been!?" I exclaimed.

He sighed and rolled his eyes, "Take this and let's go to your room" He said giving me the tray with our breakfast.

As soon as he closed the door he said, "Don't mention that situation while anyone can hear"

"Why? Are you scared?"

"No-"

"Little Gordon is scared" I mocked.

"I'm not scared, it's just better not to start any drama" He growled.

"So you said her boyfriend is keeping her here?" I said before sipping a little bit of my coffee and cringing, "Just how much sugar did you put in this?"

He rolled his eyes and ignored it, "Her boyfriend is keeping her here, yes"

"So who is he?" I asked.

"You don't know him and it will stay that way" He said.

"We live in the same house, it can't stay that way"

"The house is enormous hun, you won't meet him"

"It doesn't sound like you like him" I pointed out.

"Yes, I hate him actually. He's good at what he does though and he's been with us for years"

"Anyways.." I said trying to change the subject. He wouldn't say anything more than that, "How's mom and dad?"

"Well dad is still hospitalized, but-"

"What!?" I cut him off yelling and spitting out my coffee.

"What?" He asked taken aback.

"Why is dad hospitalized?" I asked standing up.

Did I hear this correctly?

"Wait, you didn't know?" He asked as his eyes widened and he backed away from me.

"Gordon tell me what's going on right now"

"Jason's father got mad because he kept saying he didn't know where you are and he-he hurt him"

I sighed and rubbed my face, "How bad?"

"Amara, calm down. He's okay now. It wasn't really serious"

"Why didn't Ryder tell me!?"

"He probably didn't want you to worry, calm down please" He pleaded trying to come closer but I pushed him away.

"What if he died and I never saw him again-"

I already had a whole scene played out in my head. Thoughts were running through my head and I couldn't stop it.

"But he didn't! You're being irrational" He said holding my shoulders.

"Gordon call Ryder"

"No-"

"Call him right now!" I said feeling my eyes burning. I was overwhelmed by this new information and I didn't know how to handle it.

I have to talk to Ryder. I have to see my dad.