Chapter 9

I open my eyes and my heart somersaults at the unfamiliarity of the place. Yesterday's events come rushing back and force myself to turn on the other side so I do not think about them. I watch my aunt sleeping and feel guilty for having to involve her in all of this. But what choice did I have really. I look for my phone and find it on the small table besides the bed and it is only four in the morning. I remain in the same position, looking at the ceiling and deciding on what to do and then I settle on reading.

After three hours, Aunt Flora and Blake are getting to leave. I bid them farewell and I find myself stuck in a quiet house with the help.

I go back and settle in Aunt Flora's bed and call Shantelle and Viola through a group call. Yesterday Viola ended telling mother where I was because she was too stressed thinking that I ran off with another guy. Like the one I had and was married to did not give me enough problems. Mama felt better knowing that I was safe, but her anger towards me did not drop a bit, she was still fuming. She was also angry at Aunt Flora for lying to her and I had to fall asleep to Aunt Flora telling me how she was feeling guilty and that we put her in trouble.

James left for Ballington after finding out that my bags were gone. He figured that I was not kidnapped or anything, I simply ran away. He was heartbroken and devastated and my mother made sure I knew that, and that I felt guilty for treating him that way. But I did not think that he was devastated that I left, I think he was just angry that I embarrassed him and made him look like a fool. It definitely was not about loosing me, it was about his ego and pride.

They both don't answer and then we schedule the call via text for twenty minutes later. 'Mom' pops up on my screen and I feel the urge to jump out the window.

"Hey mom," I say already regretting why I answered the call.

"Lilith, why would you do that? Why would your break James' heart like that?"

I bob my head back and forth pretending that I am hitting a wall. Hopefully my skull cracks and I pass out.

"Why are you keeping quiet? Answer me!"

"Mom. I ran away because I was not happy. I wanted to tell you but I knew you would act like this, so I figured running away was my only choice."

"You should have told me and stop assuming things. James left here sad and I was so embarrassed. How could you do this to me, and maybe you do not care about me but how could you do this to James?"

"Mom I am the one who ran away but you are worried about James. What about me?" This call is exactly how I knew it would go. Poor dear James.

"You should have said if you were unhappy, not run away. Now you and your sisters have embarrassed me. I can't believe it."

"I did try to talk to James but......"

"There is no excuse for what you did Lilith. You told everyone to lie to me and now James went back home without you. What will Father and Mother say?! That I did not raise you well? And what about Flora. She lied to her husband because of you. And you lost your marriage to this silliness. James will never forgive you."

"Does it look like I did all this planning and running away so I can be forgiven by James," I want to say but I quickly swallow the words knowing that my mother only wants the best for me, but goes with it the wrong way.

"Mom I was unhappy. And I do not regret running away."

"And so you decided to make James unhappy too?! That is not what Father taught us."

I sigh when I see that the conversation is going nowhere. Might as well apologize to James for being unhappy with all his abusive ways. Isn't that what a good wife does. Pretend they are happy and then commit suicide due to depression and then not go to heaven. What is the use really?