Chapter 66 ~ "I don't want normal"

Nate

*Irene's mom is home, I'm good to go whenever you can get here. No rush :)*

I immediately get out of bed and start to put on my shoes. Sasha had been gone for two hours and I was starting to get sick of my English homework. I grab my gym bag and start the quick drive back to her house.

I hoped Irene was alright, after what Sasha had said and how manic the phone call sounded, I hoped everything would work out. Sasha was a good friend, she wanted to make sure Irene didn't go through this alone. 

But I had to believe everything that happened was for the right reasons. I knew this was right for Micheal, it never feels good to hide some part of yourself. And for Irene it means that she's not being lead to believe something other than the truth. I've watched them together for a few months and they didn't seem anywhere near as happy as when they started dating. Sometimes people grow and change, not everything lasts forever.

I try not to get too in my own head about 'forevers', all I think about when I see Sasha is the word forever. Nothing could change how I felt, no matter what was going on around me or what was happening to the people I knew. Sasha and I were meant to last and to be together, that's what these past few months have shown me.

I feel my pulse quicken as soon as I see her walking over to my car. I watch the evening light bounce off her hair and her hips swing. As soon as my eyes meet hers I'm lost. That pale icy-blue colour is too much for me, her eyes are piercing. Then she starts running to the car and I feel my own heart hammer in my chest. We'd never become Irene and Micheal.

"Hey-" I don't even let her say anything else before I press my lips to hers and she laughs.

"Hey." I say more quietly, pulling back and grabbing her hand. "I missed you." I tell her and she laughs quietly.

"I missed you too, sorry about leaving and everything. Thank you for coming to get me and for being so understanding." She says and I nod, giving her hands a squeeze.

"I don't mind, how's she doing?" I ask and she sighs.

"Better, I think just having someone to talk to helped a lot. She's sad of course but.....she understands." She says and I nod.

"That's good then." I tell her and she nods. "And how are you doing with all of it?"

"I'm fine." She says with a smile, shaking her head. "I feel bad for her, I know how much she really cared about him, but I think it's all going to work out. They'll probably stay close and talk, but Micheal won't feel like he's hiding something and Irene will have the chance to work on herself. Micheal being gay aside....they had a really rocky relationship. It was toxic and unhealthy and I'm glad they're getting the chance to focus on themselves for a while."

I definitely knew what she was talking about, I wasn't as close with them as Sasha was but I could see all the problems they had. They'd fight and get upset, not speak to each other, Irene would pull Sasha away constantly because of her worries over Micheal. It wasn't right anymore, and I'm honestly glad it's over for both of their sakes.

"She asked what I would do if I was her." She says quietly and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What?" I and she sighs. "Like if I was....." I trail off and she laughs a bit.

"I know you're not, take it easy." She says and I laugh, thankful she seemed lighthearted and none of this was getting to her. "But baby, I know that wouldn't be us." She says reaching her hand up to run it through my hair.

"Of course not." I whisper, turning off the car and pulling her over into my lap.

"I told her that when I'm around you I feel like I can't breathe." She whispers, leaning her forehead on mine. "You make my heart stop." She assures me, putting her hands on either side of my face. "She said she didn't know the last time she felt like that about him." I feel my own heart nearly beat out of my chest as I pull her just that little bit so I can press my lips to hers.