Chapter 15

Levi and I discussed the plans for the evening pretty briefly. Hopefully, we can wriggle our way into that backroom and finally find proof of illegal conduct.

As we exited our room and entered the reception, Amelia's eyes lit up when she saw me. I try not to sigh and instead walk straight towards her. "We are here to check out."

"Of course!" She smiles and slides over a folded piece of paper, "I'll take it from here. You can leave early."

"Of course, Darling." I hand over a few bills that equate to the cost for the night. I take the letter and wink at her before leaving her side and returning to Levi.

"Please tell Otto I would like to see him again, Eve!" She calls out, her cheeks rose-coloured.

"I will." I raise up my hand to her and wave, "Have a good day."

"I'm starting to notice you're nice to only a certain few people." Levi comments, putting his hand in his pockets, "And why the daughter of Jacob Steen is one of them is beyond me."

"She's in love with my squad captain, Otto." I shrug my shoulders, "Its pretty cute.

"Huh." Levi raises an eyebrow at me.

"Let's split ways now," I say. "We can meet at the hotel entrance. I will have everything ready. Let's walk to the Casino today" I glance over at him and wave before crossing my arms and my expression blanking.

***

I walked up to the entrance of Hotel Bellinger, a briefcase and purse in each hand. I had previously readied two horses for Levi and I, that would stay in the stables until tomorrow. I also got a scouts and MP uniform and had reception hold it for me.

The day so far was pretty calm. Delivering the letter to Otto was definitely a highlight. His face was something new and lifted the atmosphere in our squad room. It felt great to know outside of work he still had a social life.

I'm slightly jealous.

At the entrance, Levi stands there waiting for me. I reach him and hand over the briefcase, his fingers grazing mine in the process. My eyes widen and I quickly retract my hand and turn around. "Sorry." I say and feel a shiver run down my spine. I cradle my hand with the other and start walking towards the Casino.

"Are you okay?" I hear Levi ask me from my side.

"Yes." I abruptly answer.

***

After making it past the bouncer at the entrance, a member of staff asked us if we would like to use the cloakroom.

"Yes." Levi answers, "Thank you."

The man leads us and shows us an empty locker to put our stuff. I refuse to put my purse but Levi temporarily drops his briefcase.

We enter the main area of the casino and I look over at Levi, "I'm going to the bathroom. Order us drinks." Levi nods and I turn to the door labelled 'Restroom'. I start walking towards it and confidently open the door and stepping in.

I was expecting it to then split into a ladies and men but was horrified when I realised it was a unisex bathroom. Ignoring it, I stride straight to the sink in a rush. I run my hands under the hot water, scrubbing at it relentlessly with the bar of soap available. I grit my teeth, trying my hardest to feel clean.

Finally realising I'm wasting time, I turn the tap off and look around for a place to hide the Zip Ties that are currently in my purse. I enter a few stalls but nothing, no loose tiles or anything. I finally enter the last stall and see a vent. I let out a heavy sigh of relief and then lock the door behind me. I crouch down and nearly curse when I see it's screwed into the wall with the tiniest screws imaginable.

I search around my purse for anything to use. Not finding anything, I look at everything attached the holster on my thigh. Seeing a small dagger I grab it and try using it o the screws. With enough patience, I manage to get them out.

I carefully put each screw in my purse, hoping I don't lose any screws. I proceed to carefully lift the vent out of place and stuff the zip ties inside. I push them back as much as possible and then quickly placed the vent back in place. Already having experience, I'm able to fasten the screws quickly.

I stand up straight and look over my handiwork. I stop myself from admiring and practically dash out of the bathroom after realising how long I had spent there.

I meet up with Levi, who is sitting at a table with Tobias, Greta, Peter and Clara. Levi stands up and meets me halfway. "Your hands are bright red." He whispers as soon as he meets me.

"Ignore it." I smile and we make our way to the table.

"Annalise!" Greta exclaims, her lips a shade of purple today, "What took you so long?"

"I was fixing up my makeup a little." I smile at her and nod at all the men, "I'm not very good so it takes a while."

"You should do it at home." Greta says and I raise an eyebrow at her, "You probably have a bigger mirror at home." Her pearly whites exposed through her smile.

"I didn't have time actually." I start, "Ernst got held up at work but we really wanted to come so we rushed over."

"Yes." Levi nods his head and crosses his arms, "I had to even bring all my work materials with me."

"Oh really?" Tobias leans closer to us, "What project are you working on?"

"Someone wants to buy the property surrounding the casino." Levi swiftly lies, following our plan. "I have a large map of it and the property lines."

"Could you get a copy of it by tomorrow for us to see?" Muller asks, suddenly interested.

Levi glances over at me, "Actually, making copies take a very long time."

"If you want to look at it, let's do it today." Levi takes a sip of his drink and leans back in his chair, looking like a complete businessman. "I'm meeting with people tomorrow and will have to pass it on."

Muller glances at Tobias who nods. "Okay." Muller starts, "You get it. Tobias needs to talk to one of the dealers. Let's discuss this in the VIP room."

Perfect.

"Great." Levi stands up and adjusts his suit jacket. "I'll meet you guys there." Tobias nods and walks away to fraternise with the dealer.

"Annalise. You've never been to the VIP room, have you?" Greta asks. I refuse the urge to roll my eyes because I've obviously never been.

"No." I smile, "I'm sure it will be a great experience!" I gush.

Everyone stands up and I follow. I see the VIP room, practically glistening between the mass of people.

I smile a small smile.

Bingo, darling.

Bingo.