Chapter 21

Levi's eyes dart to mine. I stare at him with wide eyes before tapping my chin, "Was it not Isabel and Farlan? I don't recall last names." I run my hand through my hair, the stress of Rico's behaviour still haunting me. I grab a stack of papers and a pen when I suddenly notice the silence in the room.

I briefly glance up at Levi before looking back down at my papers. It takes a second for my brain to register the fact Levi was staring at me so I look back up at him with scrunched eyebrows. "What?"

"Isabel Magnolia and Farlan Chruch." He says and I nod my head, "They were killed while on an expedition."

I drop my pen on the table, "Oh. My apologies." I cross my legs under the table, "Shouldn't have joined the Survey Corps."

Suddenly Levi slams his hands down on my table and I drop my pen again, but this time in a panic, "Excuse me?" He starts, his eyes narrowed, "Does it look like we had a choice?"

"You did have a choice. To be handed over to the MP." I reply and push my chair back, feeling uneasy by how close he is to me.

"The MPs were going to kill us." He answers.

"Who told you that?" I raise an eyebrow at him, "The Survey Corps who wanted you guys to join so badly? Yeah, them. It was Survey Corps propaganda."

"What?"

"Levi, theft isn't punishable by death. Also, I wouldn't have allowed them to prosecute you guys. Why should people they don't consider to be citizens, be subjected to civil laws?"

"Obviously, we didn't know that." Levi grumbles.

"Should have explored your options." I shrug.

"We didn't want to join the Survey Corps," Levi sighs and sits back into his chair. "We were hired to kill Erwin and steal some information."

"Mmm." I hum, "I heard something about that." I pick up my pen from the floor and move closer to my desk.

"Anyways, get out of my office."

"What?" Levi retracts and I glance up at him just to see his eyebrow twitching.

"I didn't appreciate you slamming your hands on my desk. It made me uncomfortable."

"You were being insensitive." He retorts.

"Get ou-" I'm interrupted by, what I recognise to be Otto's knock, on my door. "Come in." I rub my palms against my eyes, already feeling a headache coming.

Of course, Otto walks in first, gracing us with his playful appearance. People who follow piss me off though, Dot Pixis and dear old Rico Brzenka. "Otto." I say, hoping he will explain everything.

"Good day, Commander Eve Hamilton." Pixis replies instead. "Captain Levi."

Levi and I simultaneously nod our heads at Pixis.

"I heard what my soldier Rico did and I am just here to apologise and ask for your mercy." He asks, his voice not slurred, as it usually is.

"Mercy?" I stand up and sigh, "Okay, I won't take it to trial."

"Thank you." Pixis smiles weirdly, "I knew you wouldn't."

"She still will be punished." I say and raise an eyebrow at the weird man.

I stick my hand deep into my pocket until I feel what I am looking for. The handcuff keys. I pull them out and show everyone with a smile. I then turn towards the window, which Rico had shot at earlier and throw it into the river behind the HQ.

"What are you doing?!" Pixis asks, completely alarmed. I shove my hand back into the pocket and pull out the second key, before yeeting that one outside the window too.

"This is Rico's punishment." I place my hands on hips, "She will swim to the bottom of the river and get the keys to unlock the cuffs. Of course, that is too easy so I shall throw in a couple of fake keys too."

"What if she drowns, Eve?!" Pixis asks and then takes a swig from his flask.

"Well, what she did is punishable by death." I shrug my shoulders and then grab some uncut keys from my cupboard. I throw another three before sitting down on my desk chair. "There is a bouy anyway."

"Crazy bitch." Rico murmurs. I chuckle.

"Actually, there isn't a bouy anymore." I say and hand her my fakest smile. Her mouth falls open but she quickly closes it and turns around, hiding her face from me.

"Okay," I let out a ragged breath, feeling anxious randomly, "If you are done, I'm politely asking you to leave my office. Its been a long day."

"Of course. My apologies." Pixis nods at me before turning around to leave.

"AND," I start just as he was about to leave, "If you ask any smith to break the cuffs, I WILL find out. And I will guarantee Rico Brzenka is persecuted for her acts of treason. Thank you."

"Well, shit." Pixis mutters as he leaves and I chuckle.

"Shall I leave too?" I hear from my side. I glance over to Otto with a tired look.

"Yes, but before you do." I clear my throat and look away, "Clear all meetings I have scheduled today. I don't care for emergency meetings either."

"Wait, but you know that somebody is gonna want to see you.." Otto trails off, scrunching his eyes at me.

"Yes. And if Nile thinks him giving out to me is so important, stress SO IMPORTANT, then he can find me at the gun range. But if I accidentally shoot him, it's technically not my fault." I stand up from my chair and run my hands through my hair before grabbing my gun from my cupboard. "I shall be at the gun range."

"Don't go too hard." Otto warns me with a chuckle.

"Sure, Dad." I roll my eyes.

"Do you know who the captain of the Anti-Personnel Control Squad is, Schmidt?" Levi pipes us and I give him a dirty look.

"Yes." Otto curtly replies.

"You said you wouldn't ask." I mutter.

"I said I wouldn't go looking." Levi smartly replies. I raise up my hands and just imagine twisting his neck for a second.

"Okay then," I sigh, "You're coming to the gun range with me, Levi."