chapter 27

Third person POV:

Isaac sat awkwardly at the table, not saying a word.

As soon as he had stepped foot into his house, his mom had declared that they were going over to the Reid's house for dinner, and he had to join them.

Now, he sat next to Zavier, Fanny opposite him on her phone as he stared down at the food in front of him.

Lasagne.

He hated lasagne, but he didn't know how he could express that without sounding rude.

So he stayed silent.

But Zavier watched on with an entertained smile, glancing down at Isaac's untouched food. "Isaac, aren't you going to eat that?" Zavier put on a concerned look, but Isaac glared back at him.

Mr Reid looked over from his conversation to Isaac's food, "Do you not like it?"

"No, it's really nice, I'm just not hungry, that's it." Isaac smiled, but gritted his teeth when he felt Zavier's knee dig into his thigh.

He removed his hand from his knife and moved it down by his side, and pushed Zavier's knee away from him. "Stop it." He whispered, as he felt Zavier's knee hit his thigh again.

"Great." Isaac muttered to himself when Zavier's knee didn't move, picking up his fork and poking the lasagne.

"How's school Zavier?" Isaac's mom randomly asked out of the blue.

"It's great actually. Isaac and I here have an English substitute teacher. Her name's Miss Page, and I think she's taken a real liking to Isaac-" Zavier's eyes shined with mischief, that nobody else spotted except Isaac.

"Shut up Zavier." Isaac spat, realising what was happening.

His mom turned to look at him, "Isaac Hill Jones, do not be rude." Before looking back at Zavier. "Carry on."

"Yeah, they have a tight bond I think. But Isaac, I didn't see you this morning?"

"Well I was there." Isaac lied, avoiding his mom's questioning stare.

Zavier relished in Isaac's nervousness, "Were you?"

"Yes, in fact, I was."

"What does he mean he didn't see you Isaac?" His mom eventually spoke.

"Actually." Isaac stood up, and pulled Zavier up with him. "I think I need to talk to Zavier about our English assignment." Isaac dragged Zavier out of the room, not bothering to listen to whatever else his mom wanted to say.

"Why do you never mind your own business?" Isaac shot off, glaring angrily at Zavier's smirking face.

"I was just telling your mom the truth. Where were you?"

"None of your fucking business. Stop interfering with everything I do, I don't need a guardian angel." Isaac went to leave but Zavier grabbed his hand, stopping him. "What now?"

"I just wanted to say that you looked g-" But he didn't finish the sentence as Francesca's voice cut over his.

"Why are you holding hands? Are you both gay or something?"

Neither boys had noticed her come into the hallway, but on seeing her judgmental look, they quickly pulled their hands away from each other.

"No." Isaac immediately denied, but Zavier took a more laidback response.

"And what if we were Fran? I hope you're not homophobic."

For once, Francesca seemed a bit tense, and shook her head. "No, I'm not homophobic. I was just wondering, that's all."