46

"We need to talk," he says in a flat voice that makes me take one step back when e takes one towards me. 

In his blue jeans, open dark jacket that lets out to see the front of his white sweater, the one I gave him on Christmas, just moments before everyone came to our house. Those were good times, times when I thought my family was happy, that Criss's death brought us together more than ever, times when I didn't know the type of man my dad is. 

"Don't come any closer" as soon as the words are out he stops, freezing in place, his calm expression darkening under my gaze.

Those amber eyes darken in a narrowed line, the corners of those thin lips that used to kiss me goodnight lift up, a malicious smile appearing, an expression I have never seen on dad, an expression that makes my blood run cold and my heart beat faster. 

This man right here is the one that terrorized Tiffany, the one who gave her those bruises, beat her all her life as she said. My dad, that good man who would do anything for his family would have never laid hands on his own child, but the man standing in front of me, he is not him, he is capable of terrible things. Liam words pop up in my mind and a horrible bitterness files my mouth. 

Maybe she met the real man...

"Since when are you scared of me, pumpkin?" the way he says my nickname is spiteful, no sign of the love he always used to put in that simple word. 

Looking around to see if there is anyone out here who could help me, I realize everyone is in class, teachers, and students, and this stupid college doesn't have bodyguards because in this town nothing ever happens. Until now.

Liam! He will come as soon as he finishes with the principal and he said it will take just a moment, so he should be on his way already. 

"I don't want to talk with you, I don't want anything to do with you." my voice sounds weak and scared compared with his raucous voice.

"I am your father and you can't just forget that, Nataly. I raised you, you owe me everything you are, do you understand?" A penetrating sound echoes around the yard when his palm hits the hood of the blue car close to him. I jump in place, my entire body shaking from the adrenaline and he knows me, he raised me, of course, he can see right through me understanding the effect he has on my nerves. "You are so scared of me, that is actually funny. You know, I never hurt you, and yet you're shitting your pants, but Tiffany, even if she knows what I am capable of, she never ever flinched. Hmm... I guess she's the brave one" the mockery hits me in the face, hard as I realize how true his words are.

Just like magic, I stop shaking remembering I am not a scared little girl, I might not be able to stop him if he tries to actually hurt me, but damn sure I will make things difficult for him. My eyes narrow and I feel any emotion leaving my face, making it stone cold. "What do you want from me?" even my voice sounds cold.

"Look who found some courage, let's see how it lasts" he laughs. He actually laughs and all the movies with villains couldn't have prepared me for the evil sound he makes. "You, pumpkin, will convince your mother to stop this nonsense with the divorce and we will go back to be a happy little family." 

"Never," I said taking a step towards him, shoving my finger in his face. "I will never do this, mom will divorce your pathetic ass and move on with her life, in two years from now you will be nothing but a memory. And for me, every time I will go to Criss's grave I will cry for you too because I prefer to think of you as dead and not as the monster you turned out to be." 

When I am done I breathe hard from the adrenaline, my cheeks must be red as blood because I can feel the heat radiating from them and my eyes are blurry with anger like I never knew before.