eleven

Peter led me down yet another hallway. He had hooked his arm through mine as we walked. 

"May I ask where we're going?"

"Just one moment," he replied.

We turned into what looked like a study. He sat down on one side of the desk, leaving me to seat myself awkwardly in the other chair. I tucked my hair behind my ear, regarding him apprehensively. 

"So. Before you ask any questions, I have a proposition for you. It's going to seem a little extreme to you, but I'll explain the benefits."

More than a little baffled, I nodded. 

He pulled up his phone and opened it, sliding it across the table for me to read. I saw that it was the same article that my mom had showed me, the one based on the pictures of Peter and I. 

"Oh. I'm so sorry about this, really I-"

"It's not at all your fault. I also believe we can work this to our advantage. Which leads me to my proposal. We start a relationship."

I gaped at him. 

"I... I'm sorry?"

He stood up, beginning to pace the room. 

"My parents, mostly my dad have been getting on me about "prospects". Someone that I can begin courting and eventually marry that will provide financial or political support to the crown. Someone like you."

I stared at him, nonplussed. 

"I'm sorry, are you asking me out?"

He smirked, laughing a little. 

"It's a little more complicated than that, but essentially yes."

"Just so your parents will get off your back?"

Peter sighed, sitting back down.

"That, and the media hounding me, and girls leaving me absolutely no privacy."

"So because I'm technically a Pembroke, your dad will think its suitable, the media will have something else to cover, leaving your super private details out of the picture, and girls will harrass you less if you're taken?"

He actually looked relieved. 

"You understand, then."

I looked down at my hands briefly.

"What about me? I barely know you, and now... what? We're together for social appearances?"

He looked sheepish.

"Look, I hope you don't misunderstand. You're at complete liberty to say no. But before you do, this could also be very beneficial for your family."

"Beneficial how?"

"To be completely honest with you, nobody trusts your father yet. And... I'm not sure if you've seen some of the comments people are making about  you and your mother being Canadian and the strange way you came into the fortune..."

"Of course I've seen them," I replied, a little defensive, "we were as shocked as anyone."

"And I'm not doubting that," he said hurriedly, "it's just that this could also help boost your family's social status amongst the rest of the nobility. Our relationship would become the focus, leaving your parents some time to get themselves organized. People would begin to take them more seriously if their son-in-law was the Prince of Wales."

I froze. 

"Son-in-law? You're not seriously proposing marriage right now, are you?"

He waved his hand. 

"Of course not. But that is what the press would begin to insinuate. Then, after a few months, once my parents have realized that I don't need them to micromanage my relationships and your parents have settled into their roles at Wilton, we'd set up an emotional but clean breakup, to which we could both plead privacy for grieving time, and then go on with our lives."

I blinked at him, all the gears in my brain turning at warp speed. 

"Okay... Give me two seconds to process everything you just said."

He nodded, standing up. 

"Of course, I'll go grab you some water."

He left the study, leaving me to think  about what the hell was going on. I wasn't usually this slow on the uptake, but my life had been utter mayhem the last while, so I was willing to cut myself some slack on this.

A few moments later, Peter returned with two glasses of water, one of which he placed before me on the desk.

"How are you doing?"

"I mean, everything you're saying makes perfect sense... It's just a lot to handle. I don't know when my life got this complex."

He snorted in a very unrefined way. That actually surprised me enough that I looked up at him.

He blushed. 

"Terribly sorry, that was quite rude. It's just that this is almost normal for me now. However I can understand how strange this might be to you."

"I don't know really anything about you, though. Won't the press want us to talk about each other?"

"We'll learn."

I took a thoughtful sip of my water.

"So... Just for a couple of months? A few social outings, some interviews, public appearances... That's it?"

He nodded. 

"That's it."

"I mean it seems reasonable enough."

"So you'll do it?"

I sighed, weighing my options, but knowing I had already decided. I remembered the stressed out expression on mom's face and the way dad seemed so worn out and knew I was going to do what I had to so that I could make this easier for them. 

"Yes, I'll do it."

He clapped his hands. 

"Wonderful! This is going to seem odd, but I need you to sign this non-disclosure agreement and the contract underneath it. So that the only people who know about this arrangement are me and you. As far as everyone else is concerned, this relationship is as real as the sky is blue."

"Even my parents?" I asked as he handed me a fountain pen.

"Even your parents. Trust me, the less people know about it, the easier it will be."

"Alright," I said. 

I gave the document a once-over. It mostly just explained what Peter had already told me, with a few things about public appearances and the like on the contract. After I'd signed it, he signed it too. 

"You really were prepared for this, huh?"

"As soon as that article came out, I had the idea. I didn't know what you would say, but I had the documents drawn up anyway."

"Does this mean we can ditch the titles and go by first names?" I asked.

He looked surprised. 

"I mean, I suppose so. I'd never really thought of that. But if you'd prefer it, I'd be happy to go by Peter and call you Evangeline."

"My friends call me Evie, actually."

He blinked, but looked pleasantly surprised.

"Alright then, Evie it is."

He stuck out his hand for me to shake.  

What in the world did I just get myself into?