twenty-seven

The next morning I woke up with a pit in my stomach. I don't know how the time had flown so fast, but soon I was going to go meet with Peter to finalize the end of the contract. 

I wasn't sure if my heart would be able to take it. 

I brushed my hair, feeling a pang in my heart as I pulled on the sundress I'd worn the day he introduced me to Lillian and Alec. 

Ron drove me to the meeting spot, the restaurant where we'd had our first date in the late afternoon. It was almost like the universe was trying to crush me. 

Soul heavy, I opened the door and let the hostess lead me to the table in the corner. Peter was sitting there, papers on the table in front of him. I sat down across from him, avoiding his gaze. 

"Hey."

"Hey," I whispered. 

"Why didn't you answer any of my calls?"

I gulped hard and forced myself to meet his eyes. He had dark circles under them and looked almost as bad as I felt. 

"Let's not do that," I replied.

"Do what?"

"Pretend it matters."

"Of course it matters!" he hissed, "You kissed me and then ignored me for a week! I was worried about you!"

I closed my eyes, fighting back the inevitable wave of tears. 

"You aren't my real boyfriend, Peter, you don't have to keep acting like it."

His eyes widened with hurt. 

"Oh. I see."

I rubbed my temples, trying my very hardest not to let the expression on his face break me any more than it already had.

"I said I was sorry. I really am, but can we please just move on and get this over with?"

He looked pained.

"Is that really what you want?"

I nodded.

"Yes."

His jaw tightened, but he didn't say anything else. He simply signed the paper that signified the end of the contract, the end of the non-disclosure agreement... the end of the relationship.

He slid it across the table and I signed the dotted line on autopilot, silently begging my brain to do or say something, to let him know that this wasn't what I wanted, but instead I just handed the paper back to him. 

He gave me a blank smile. 

"Well, I guess this is it. We both got what we wanted."

I nodded. 

"My dad is doing well, and your parents are letting you make your own choices. Everyone wins."

We looked at each other for a long moment.

"Well..." he stuck his hand out for me to shake. I didn't meet his eyes as I squeezed his hand for the last time. 

"Pleasure doing business with you," I whispered flatly, "but I have a plane to catch."

I stood up from the table. I was only a few steps away when he spoke again.

"Evangeline, wait." 

My heart skipped a beat. Was he going to ask me to stay? Did he feel the same way I did. 

I turned around, hope rising-

"I... You forgot your sweater."

My heart plummeted through my stomach and into the floor. Embarrassed, I grabbed it off the seat. 

"Oh, of course. Sorry."

I turned around, tears stinging the corners of my eyes as I fled the restaurant. Ron took me home, mercifully not asking any questions. 

I spent the next few hours packing a bag, crying, and trying in absolute vain to convince myself that I was going to be fine. 

The airport wasn't too crowded as I walked through, my small bag in hand. Ron trailed behind me, ever vigilant, towing my bigger suitcase. As my security guard, he was going to get me on the plane, and then I would be picked up by someone else at the other airport. I was going to miss him, but he needed to stay with his family, and I wasn't sure when I was going to be coming back. 

I didn't know when I wanted to come back. I felt sick at the thought of having to see Peter again, which meant I would be avoiding London for the foreseeable future. I'd said a quick goodbye to Lillian and Alec, who were very confused by my sudden departure, this morning before I'd gone to meet Peter. 

I assumed he would make up some story about a breakup for them. 

Ron and I made our way through the fast-tracked security line. Apparently, my family had access to a private plane, which was almost worse, because that meant I was going to be completely alone with my thoughts, not even with some screaming baby to distract me. 

Ron led us through the airport as fast as possible so nobody had time to recognize me. That was admittedly a foolish hope for us to have, as I saw a few flashes and cameras out as soon as we'd stepped foot in the building. That didn't stop as we made our way over to the private gate section. 

My heart was heavy as we descended the stairs. I couldn't believe everything was actually over. I hadn't told Peter how I felt, and now I was going to leave and he was probably going to marry a wealthy noble girl who actually knew how to handle herself and their relationship wouldn't be just a publicity stunt. 

Maybe if the universe was feeling particularly cruel, I'd have to go to his wedding one day. And everyone would be thinking about our sad breakup and how it was such a shame that we'd lost our love. 

You can't lose what you never had. I reminded myself sadly. 

Ron handed my bags off to an attendant guy as we waited for me to be able to board. 

"Hey."

I looked up at him. 

"I can't pretend to understand what exactly is going on, but I know enough." He said.

I looked back down, but to my surprise, Ron pulled me into a tight hug. 

"You're gonna be okay," he whispered. 

That was almost enough to do me in. Tears were practically already flowing when he pulled back and held me at arm's length.

"I better go," I said sadly. 

Ron nodded, and I turned towards the gate. 

"Wait!"