twenty-two

"Hello," I greeted softly, waving the two of them over.

Lillian promptly grabbed a throw pillow from beside us and hurled it at Alec's head. He caught it with one hand, barely looking up from his phone. 

"Really, Lillian? Every time I enter a room?" His expression screamed exasperation but his tone was flat as he launched it back in our general direction. Lillian ducked, leaving the pillow to smack me in the face. 

"Um, ow?"

"Sorry Evangeline, Lillian is an idiot."

"I have to keep the tradition alive, you know that."

Peter rolled his eyes at the two of them and sat in a chair across from the couch Lillian and I were on. 

"What are you guys up to?"

"Lillian was braiding my hair," I replied, showing off the neatly done crown she'd braided around my head.

He looked impressed. 

"It looks very nice," he complimented, giving me a soft smile that made my insides melt a little. 

Oh fuck. He's getting to me. 

"What do you guys wanna do, we have a bit before dinner," Lillian interjected, swinging a different pillow at Peter's head. 

He barely reacted, seeming used to this kind of behaviour from her. I wondered if this was what she was always like. 

Alec pulled a deck of cards out of his pocket.

"Poker?"

I shook my head. 

"I don't know how to play poker."

"Yeah, neither do I," said Lillian. 

"Me neither buddy," Peter finished, leaving Alec looking offended.

"So apparently none of you have any taste. That's fine. What do you want to play?"

There was a pause until I suggested ina very quiet voice, 

"Go fish?"

"But that's so boringggggg," Alec complained. 

"Only because you always lose," Lillian taunted. 

Alec narrowed his eyes. 

"Ok, it's on. Best of 10 rounds."

Peter and I looked at each other, holding in laughter. 

"You guys really don't just play for fun, do you?"

Alec reached over and grabbed my shoulders. 

"You have much to learn, young padawan. We always play to win."

"Was... was that a Star Wars reference?"

He blinked. 

"No."

"I'm pretty sure it was."

"Shut up and deal the cards Miss Go fish."

I held up my hands, biting my lip to keep from giggling at him. 

And so that's how four twenty-some members of nobility ended up in a two hour Go Fish extravaganza that ended with blood, sweat and tears. Most of it felt like a blur, but by the end, Peter had a cut lip, Alec was sporting a freshly bloody nose, Lillian had a bruise blooming on her left shin, I had skinned both knees and all of our socks were missing.