Chapter 40: Stupid Woman

Luke had just come from an urgent business trip in a neighbouring country. There was a little bit of problem and it couldn't be solved just through a call so he needed to go to the site and inspect it.

The inspection took quite a while, taking a few days.

Heavens know how much he missed his little son and of course, Dalena.

But when he came home, he didn't expect that it would be his bratty little sister and someone else to greet him first.

"Oh my goodness! Finally, Brother! Took you long enough. I'm sure Nori was starting to get bored with just me here." Chantelle exclaimed.

Suddenly, Eleanor walked towards Luke and put her arms around him. She was tall but Luke was even taller, so she fit perfectly in his chest.

"I missed you so much, Lukey..." Eleanor murmured.

Luke did not think much of Eleanor's gesture. She was a friend that he knew since he was younger so she was like another sister that he had as well. But the only difference is, Eleanor was a nicer sister than Chantelle. After all, no one can match the deviousness of his little sister.

Luke hugged her back briefly before pulling away from the hug first.

"It's nice to see you too, Nori. Hope you were well these past few years." Luke said gently.

"Yeah, thanks. The first time I visited when I came back to London is here, not our family's estate. So don't you think you owe me a catch up?" Eleanor asked Luke.

Quickly, Luke nodded at her.

"Sure. Just let me greet my son first."

Little did Luke know, his son and Dalena were just in the dining room. They were eating and could hear everything else in the main hall as it connected to the area.

Dalena heard how passionately Luke and Eleanor said their greetings to each other. Must be nice, huh? Luke couldn't even rest and would spend time with Eleanor right away?

'He's so eager to spend time with his fiancée...' Dalena thought bitterly.

It didn't take long for footsteps and murmurs to be heard, signaling that Luke was walking towards the area.

Thankfully though, Little George somehow ate his meal faster when Luke was arriving towards them.

Little George had such a serious expression when Luke came, not like those times when he was excited whenever Luke would be back.

However, Luke didn't think much of it. He just thinks that his son is really abandoning him now and only thinking of Dalena instead.

"Hey bud, you don't look happy to see me, huh?" Luke asked his little son in an amused tone.

In his mind, Little George could not believe how clueless his father is.

Nevertheless, he is still his father so Little George just hoped that his father would get some kind of enlightenment. He had a feeling that his father was actually in a big trouble right now.

Not letting his thoughts get on his face, Little George smiled playfully at Luke and hugged him.

"I missed you, Papa. Welcome back!" Little George said cheerily.

Then, as Dalena watched the scene in front of her eyes, she only had a cold expression on her face.

While carrying Little George, Luke finally gazed at Dalena.

"How about you, you didn't miss me at all?" Luke smirked, quietly whispering those words to Dalena.

Dalena frowned.

'Why does the Duke still have the guts to say that when his fiancée is literally inside the estate? Is he really claiming me as a mistress or some sort? I am not that low!' Dalena thought.

As a response to Luke, Dalena looked at the ground and pretended to not hear him.

Once again, Luke only misunderstood it as Dalena acting normal by avoiding his teasings. He chuckled at Dalena's answer before patting his son's head and giving him a small kiss on his forehead.

***

Later on, while picking flowers, someone had tears flowing through her face.

'It hurts. It hurts so much. Why does it have to hurt this much? I already knew the ending from the start, so why? Is it because he's pretending that he's not committing any crime?' Dalena thought in her head as another wave of tears flew.

She was currently picking flowers to prepare for an activity that Little George had to do for his art class, so she was thankful for the little alone time that she was able to have.

But at the same time, because of this alone time, she started to think about the things that have been bothering and hurting her.

Actually, just moments before, she saw how Eleanor has clung into Luke's arm. They were laughing together and really, just look like a perfect couple.

They were even calling each other by their nicknames. Heck, she hasn't even heard Luke call her just by her name and she could not do it, calling Luke by just his name.

She had already seen it in the pictures anyway so why does it matter now that she sees it in real life? What's the difference?

Although she has denied and buried it deep in her heart for so many times now, she really can't believe she's admitting it... that perhaps, she has a little feelings for Luke?

Dalena hoped that Luke wasn't such a Casanova. Now he succeeded, he really caught her heart!

'Ha, I'm so stupid. I'm the most stupid woman in the world!' Dalena murmured to herself.