Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Quinn POV

I was running the last hundred yards or so of the race well in front of my dad and brothers. I'd picked up the pace about a third of the way in and held a solid lead since. I could tell I hadn't even hit my fastest speed yet. This was an incredible feeling.

I swiftly broke through the trees of the clearing where our race had started. I could hear dad and the boys were pretty close behind. There wasn't much separation between each of them. I looked across the field and saw that Reggie and Linda were in a deep conversation with Suze and some guy I didn't recognize. Maybe I was right about where she went off to at the ball.

I sauntered towards them and Linda saw that I was headed their way. She grabbed my extra soft purple robe for me and I readied myself to shift back. This was also something I had been working on. It would be much easier than shifting into my wolf as I could more easily concentrate on my human body since I was more used to it.

I closed my eyes and thought of my human body from my toes all the way up to the top of my head. I took a deep breath and I quickly started shifting back into my human form. Linda swiftly wrapped me up in my robe and gave me a hug.

"I'm so proud of you sweetheart," she cooed in my ear. I felt my eyes start to water thinking about how happy I am that she was here to help me through the process. "I know your mom would be so proud too," she continued. With that comment a few tears trickled down my face. I pulled away and gave my second mother a soft smile.

"Thank you," was all I was able to get out in my current state.

At that moment I felt eight strong arms reaching for me. Dad, Theo, Charlie, and Oliver had thrown on some spare shorts, thankfully, and came over to congratulate me not only on my win but also on how well I'd been able to train for my wolf these past years.

"Uh, troublemaker," Theo started. "I think you're going to have to teach me some of your moves. Seems like dad was holding out on us."

"Yeah," Charlie added. "I want you on my team if we're ever in a fight. No one has any chance up against you!"

Oliver shoved everyone else away to give me a tight bear hug. "They're right little sis, I hate to admit it but you destroyed us all. You're absolutely something special. I can't wait to see what you accomplish in life."

All this love from my big brothers was making me feel on top of the world. My wolf was excited as well from all the compliments she was getting.

'We're the perfect team,' I told her.

'Always have been, always will be,' she answered.

Dad was last to congratulate me. "I knew you were special from the moment I laid eyes on you eighteen years ago. You'll make your mate very proud someday."

I stilled momentarily. We're back on that topic again.

"No need to think about it now," dad continued. "You've had a long, stressful day. Looks like Suze has someone over there she wants you to meet."

I'd completely forgotten about Suze! I bolted over to her and gave her a huge hug. "Suze!" I cried. "I did it! I have my wolf!"

"I saw, Quinny!" she exclaimed. "You were so amazing! I can't believe you beat your whole family in a race on the night of your first shift. Actually...scratch that. I can believe it. You're my amazing Quinn. You can do anything."

I could tell the guy standing next to Suze was starting to feel a bit awkward. I decided to take pity on him and made a gesture towards him for Suze to notice.

"Oh! Quinny you won't believe it! This is Ethan. He's my mate! Can you believe it?," she continued. "And I can't wait for you to meet-" She was suddenly cut off by a strange look from Ethan. I looked at Suze, confused.

"Can't wait for me to meet who?"

"My friends," Ethan admitted. "They were with me at the party and Suze couldn't stop talking about how wonderful you are."

"Oh," was all I could say. He didn't look like he was lying so I let it go.

By now we were walking back to the pack house. I think Ethan was going to stay the night but there was no way Reggie was going to allow him to stay in Suze's room. He'd have one of the empty guest rooms on the main floor. I could tell Ethan wasn't happy about that but it helped him knowing Suze wouldn't be far away. This mate thing is so weird.

The wind changed directions suddenly and the most amazing scent hit my nostrils. It smelled exactly like an ocean breeze. We were hours away from any ocean though. How bizarre, I thought I brushed it off as a figment of my imagination and continued along.

Back at the pack house we all briefly gathered in the kitchen. Apparently Ethan was hungry so Linda warmed up some leftovers for him, which he happily ate.

I was starting to get tired. It was nearly one in the morning and I'd had a very long day. I told everyone goodnight and that I'd see them in the morning. I gave each of my brothers and their mates a hug and then moved on to Reggie and Linda. Linda gave me a kiss on the forehead just like my mom used to before bed. I waved to Suze and Ethan who were too distracted with each other to notice I was leaving and my last stop before heading upstairs was dad.

Dad pulled me to his side and gave me a kiss on top of my hair. "Sweetheart," he started. "I don't think you understand how proud you made me tonight. You are capable of greatness and I hope you understand that. Always use your goddess-given talent to help others and you'll get far in life. And remember, you're only as strong as the people you surround yourself with."

Dad was always one for big sappy speeches but tonight it felt like it was exactly what I needed to hear.

"Thank you, dad. You always know the right things to say." I hugged him tightly and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"I'll see you in the morning, peanut. Sleep tight." He headed back into the kitchen and I went up the stairs to my room.

I decided I'd shower in the morning. I was too tired to do anything more than brush my teeth and put on my pajamas. After pulling on my black camisole, I crawled under my soft blankets and snuggled into my pillow. I stared up at the ceiling for a few minutes thinking about the day I'd had.

This was a new beginning in my life. From this day forward I had so much opportunity in front of me and I was going to seize it. Nothing and no one was going to get in my way. And with that last thought swimming in my mind, I closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep.