Chapter 71

Chapter 71

Quinn POV

Once the drugs took effect on Liam, it was a simple escape. I scoped out the gardens behind the palace earlier and watched the path the guards took. They really should learn to mix up their passes while on watch. That's something I'll have to fix once I return.

I determined my path of escape based on the natural cover offered and where the guards would be at any given time. It only took fifteen minutes to get from the window to the border, which is pretty impressive when I had to travel more than five miles through multiple border patrols.

I was now on my way to the coordinates my dad had sent me. It would take a while to get there. A day or two if I ran through the night without stopping but I knew it would be better to rest some. I need to be at my best for whatever is there waiting for me.

My dad has a head start but I'm faster than him so if I'm lucky, I'll catch up before he arrives. I have all the necessary gear packed in my bag but hopefully I won't need any of it. I want this to be as quick and painless as possible. My training was really paying off now.

I've been running without stopping for almost four hours. I was starting to feel the fatigue in my legs so I decided to take a minute for a water break and maybe a snack. I reached into my bag, passing all the survival tools until I wrapped my hand around the water jug. I took a few gulps before biting into a protein bar. It wasn't great sustenance. I would have to hunt at some point in order to fully replenish my energy. Now was not the time though.

I was about to get back up when I felt a sharp pain in my head. It felt like someone was trying to infiltrate my mind against my will. I clutched the sides of my head, trying to will it away and as quickly as it came, it was gone. I laid on the ground panting, wondering what could possibly have caused that to happen.

Shaking it off as a fluke, I shakily stood to my feet. I took a few tentative steps before deciding I was fine to continue. I'd barely made it ten feet before the pain happened again. This time it was stronger. I started to worry that something might be wrong with Liam but I realized I wouldn't be able to feel what he's feeling. He only marked me. I didn't mark him.

'What's going on?' I asked my wolf.

'Mate,' was all she said.

'What about Liam?' I replied nervously.

'He knows,' she whispered as if it was taking a toll on her to talk to me.

Suddenly everything went fuzzy in my brain. It felt like someone was trying to climb inside my mind with me. I fought it at first but it was no use. My mental strength was not as tough as my physical strength. This was something I couldn't fight.

'QUINN,' I heard a familiar voice yell in my mind.

I winced. It's Liam. He must have woken up and realized I'm gone.

'Quinn, where are you?' he yelled again frantically. 'Please let me know you're okay.'

I could sense the desperation in his voice. It pained me to know I was the one to cause him pain. I hesitated before making my decision. Should I let him know I'm okay or should I continue with my mission without getting Liam involved? I know he'll come looking for me either way but maybe I can buy myself a little time by responding.

'Liam,' I answered tentatively.

'Oh my goddess, Quinn, are you alright? Where are you? What happened?' Liam responded immediately. 'I can sense you're upset through the link.'

Ugh, this is going to be harder than I'd anticipated. 'Liam, I'm fine. Don't worry about me. I'll be back soon.' That was the best I could do. I wouldn't tell him more.

'Don't worry?? What do you mean don't worry?? One minute you're here with me and the next, I wake up and you're gone. No trace of you anywhere. Of course I'm going to worry!'

I was wasting time now. I'd spent too long talking to Liam and I needed to get back on my path. 'I'm fine, Liam,' I said with finality.

'I'm coming for you, Quinn,' he growled.

'NO!' I yelled back but it was too late. He cut the link.

Now I really had to move. Liam would stop at nothing to find me. Once he caught my scent, he'd destroy anything and everything in his path to get to me. Good thing I have a head start. It won't mean much though if I'm going to rest at all like I'd planned. I'll have to be on alert at all times.

Thankfully my father prepared me for situations like this. I know how to travel through forests undetected better than anyone I know. For now, I'll just use my speed to my advantage. The further I get from Liam, the closer I get to tearing whoever took my mother limb from limb.

With the taste of revenge on my tongue, I took off faster than I'd ever run before.