Chapter 80

Chapter 80

Quinn POV

The trip back to the castle felt much longer with all the sick and injured but we were honestly making good time. We traveled in shifts so there was always a well rested group transporting the sick and wounded while another shift was on guard and the third would take a break or rest. This way we weren't over exerted with the extra weight of carrying a person for long periods of time but the group kept moving the whole time.

Luckily the pack doctor caught up with us pretty early on and he was able to help tend to the wounded along the way. We were a few minutes away from the castle grounds and Liam and I were on guard for the last shift. We walked side by side holding hands in silence. The level of comfort we felt together grew exponentially over the past day. I truly was finally feeling content with our relationship.

Liam broke the silence after we crossed a small stream, "Quinn, things are going to change a bit once we're back. I just wanted you to know that. We're in the midst of a war, there's so many unanswered questions, and with you having marked me, the coronation will be coming up before we know it. I know you'll be a wonderful queen and you already are the most amazing mate I could have asked for, but I just want you to know all this because I need you to stay."

I opened my mouth to respond but Liam cut me off. "I know you said you're all in now but I can't help to worry. You've run from me so many times that I worry I won't be enough for you or this will all be too much. I just needed to say this before we were back and everything started happening so quickly. I love you so very very much and I will do anything for you. It's you and me, forever."

He pulled my hand up to his face and placed a soft kiss on the back of it.

"Is it alright if I talk now?" I joked.

Liam chuckled, "Of course, my love."

"Liam, I completely understand that you have trouble trusting me. That's totally warranted with how I've treated you. I'll spend the rest of my life proving to you that I mean everything I said. You're my everything and my number one priority. I'm done being selfish and I'm ready to stand by your side and lead this kingdom. We're going to be the best king and queen our people have ever seen."

Liam smiled at my words but then laughed, "I'll be sure not to tell my parents that."

I hit him lightly on the shoulder, "Oh hush you."

Liam wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me to his side.

"Forever and always, baby."

"Always and forever," I agreed.

He placed a kiss on my temple before we went back to our previous position holding hands. I felt a warmth in my chest knowing we had each other's backs and we'd face all of these trials and challenges together.

I could see the pack border in the distance and looked back at the group of people behind us. There had to be almost a hundred of us between the royal guards, the Diamond Crescent warriors, and the prisoners we saved from the base. As we approached the border patrol, the guards stopped where they were and bowed at Liam and I as we crossed through the perimeter of the royal grounds first. It was only a little bit longer before everyone was safely where they needed to be.

My mom and dad would escort the sick and wounded to the hospital and everyone else would go with Liam and I to debrief the king and queen at the castle. I looked at my parents who mirrored Liam's and my position, holding hands as they walked ahead of the warriors transporting the wounded. I smiled knowing how happy my father must be having his mate back in his arms.

Now having Liam by my side, even not fully mated, I can't imagine what he's been through these past twelve years. He's an incredibly strong wolf to survive without her. Liam squeezed my hand, letting me know he understood what I was feeling. I smiled and nuzzled my face into his shoulder. Just having him by my side was the best feeling in the world.

We approached the castle and saw there was a group waiting for us on the stairs. Liam's parents were there with Ethan and Suze, as well as a few of the top warriors who did not travel with us. I recognized one of them as Seth, the head royal trainer I'd had the displeasure of meeting the other day. I hadn't had an opportunity to tell Liam about that interaction yet but I'm definitely going to now that we're back.

Liam's mother pulled him into her arms as we reached the top of the stairs. "Oh, my darling," she cried. "I was so worried about you when you ran off without notice. I do hope everything is alright now?" she asked, giving me a look from the side.

I got very self-conscious when she looked at me. I was the reason she had to worry about her son when I impulsively left him in the middle of the night. Just another thing I'll have to apologize for.

"Everything is fine, mother," Liam attempted to soothe her. "We can talk about it all in the conference room. I have so much to tell everyone."

"Liam, talks of war can wait. You look exhausted. You need rest," Genevieve scolded. "You too, Quinn. You look absolutely dreadful. I can't believe you made it back here without passing out yourselves."

Normally I would have taken offense to her statement but she was probably right. I hadn't showered or properly slept in almost three days. I'm sure I looked much worse than I felt. Something about being with Liam invigorated my mood.

"Genevieve," Liam's father cut in. "We only need to debrief and then the boy can rest with his mate. This is war we're talking about. We need to be fully informed of what they found so we can be prepared if anything happens. No one knows who else is still out there plotting against us. The sooner we come up with a plan, the better."

Genevieve must have understood the gravity of the situation because she released Liam and stepped back into place beside her mate. I smiled at them kindly but didn't dare to greet them myself. I'm sure they're quite upset with me.

I turned to the right and saw Suze practically bouncing on her feet to get to me. I'm surprised she had the patience to wait until the king and queen were done talking to do so.

"Suze," I called to her. "I'm so sorry if I worried you."

That was all she needed to leave her place and throw herself at me. "Don't you ever do anything like that again, Quinny," she said with her face squished against my neck. "You know we're a team and we take care of things together. You know I would have gone with you if only you'd told me."

Ethan growled from behind Suze and she glared at him, "Oh hush, you. Sisters before misters."

I laughed but Ethan didn't seem to find it funny. I could just hear him grumbling under his breath.

Suze finally released me and I went to greet Ethan. "You really had us scared there, Quinn. You should have seen Liam when he realized you were gone. He practically destroyed the whole castle before he left. I would appreciate if you didn't do that again. I don't think Liam's little heart could take it."

Liam smacked Ethan upside the head and I let out a hearty laugh before looking at Liam with love in my eyes, "Don't worry, I'm here to stay."