Chapter 82

Chapter 82

Quinn POV

I was in this meeting listening to what everyone was saying but at the same time my wolf and I were also having a conversation of our own. Now knowing for sure that there's someone in the castle who was out to kill my mate, we needed to figure out who it was. The need to protect Liam was the strongest emotion I was feeling right now.

'So who do you think it is?' my wolf prodded.

'I'm not sure. I haven't been here long enough to get to know anyone. For all we know it could be a random maid or cook. Not everyone here even knows I'm the prince's mate yet.'

'So that narrows it down to anyone who does know,' she offered.

'In theory, but they could also pretend not to know if they're questioned. It isn't that simple,' I countered.

'Do you think it could be anyone in this room?' she asked.

I took a moment to look around. There were about fifteen people currently in the room. Obviously it isn't Liam, the king or queen, my parents, Ethan, or Suze. That only left the warriors who traveled to the compound with us or Seth, the head warrior. I got a shiver down my spine thinking about him. I think I'm a little biased but that guy gives me the creeps. Liam says he trusts him though so he might be less likely.

I huffed before replying, 'I don't know. I know we don't like the Seth guy but that's mostly because he challenged us. He didn't really do anything wrong.'

My wolf growled when I mentioned his name, 'I don't like the guy.'

I rolled my eyes, 'We've been challenged before and you never got like this.'

At that moment a voice spoke up that caught my attention, "And what do you suggest we do with this information, your majesty?"

Speak of the devil.

I looked towards Seth and he had a smug look on his face. 'Doesn't that look like a guilty person?' my wolf asked.

'I don't know,' I replied.

Then I saw his eyes dart towards me momentarily and he smirked slightly before covering his mouth with his hand and turning back towards the king waiting for an answer.

'I definitely don't trust him though,' I finished.

Liam was the first to answer, "Obviously our number one priority has to be keeping Quinn safe."

I stiffened upon hearing that. "I beg to differ," I offered. "I believe keeping you safe should be our number one priority. I am just your mate. You are the one born to lead this kingdom."

"Don't fight me on this one, Quinn. You were born to lead just as much as I was. The only difference is that I am nothing without you. I'm not strong enough to survive knowing you're not safe. If anything happens to me, you'll still be okay."

I opened my mouth to tell Liam he was completely wrong and that I wouldn't be okay if anything happened to him but a different voice cut me off.

"Liam is right," Seth agreed.

I glared in his direction. What is he getting at?

"The future queen needs to be kept safe until we've found the mole in the castle."

I was watching his every move. If this guy is the mole, he's very good at hiding it. He looks like he genuinely cares. Maybe I could be wrong about him.