Chapter 9

As the car drove farther and farther away I felt more and more alone. My only ever real friend just left to go live a happy life. I am not mad at her at all. I love Maya and she deserves to have a happy life. I brought my thoughts back to the note she put in my bra strap. She obviously doesn't want Matteo to know about it so I will wait until I am alone to open it.

I walk back inside with Matteo, "We are going to the shooting range in the basement next. I want to see how good you can shoot."

I say nothing but follow him through the mansion that seems more like a maze than anything. We walk down these super sketchy stairs and then we are in the basement. There is a long narrow hallway with four doors. Two of the doors were left open, when I look inside I see that the rooms have a metal bed, a toilet, and a sink. They aren't rooms, they are prison cells. As we walk by the doors that are closed someone bangs on the tiny square window that looks into the cell. I jump a little but try my best to hide it. At the end of the hallway, there is a fifth door. This one leads to the shooting range.

We walk in and Matteo points to which lane for me to shoot in. No one else was in the range but us.

"Shoot for in between the eyes, then the heart, then the neck," he says as he watches me raise the gun from the holster on my hip.

I raise my arms, position myself to aim at the dummy, and then fire three bullets. One hits the upper forehead of the dummy, one hits the right of the heart, and one hit right in between the collar bones. I was a little rusty but I wasn't that bad for the first time in a while and with my arm still healing from the bullet wound.

I hear Matteo laugh at me from behind me, "Your shooting is shit," he turns to leave.

Without thinking I raise my gun at Matteo whose back is turned towards me and shoot at him trying to nick his ear a little. I do exactly that, I smile, proud of myself. Matteo turns around and walks towards me. His green eyes pin me where I am standing. In two long strides, he was right in front of me. He puts his hand on my throat and pins me against the wall. Matteo tightens his grip just a little making it hard to breathe.

"What do you think you were doing? What if you missed? You could have killed me," I finally see a little emotion in his eyes. It's anger but I mean it's an emotion, that's something I haven't seen before.

"Proving you," I inhale sharply as he tightens his grip even more, "a point. I can shoot I was just rusty."

He releases his grip and then laughs. I don't know whether to be scared or not, "Well let's see who can prove the best point then."

I don't know what he means but before I could even think about it he grabs me by the elbow and throws me into an empty cell that we walked past on the way in. I fall on the cold hard floor. He slams the door shut and locks it. Matteo walks away without looking back.

I sit on the very uncomfortable metal bed and decide that since I am alone I can open the note.

Dear Eve,
I am really sorry that I left but I am even more sorry to tell you I am working with the Russian Mafia. I was originally kidnapped and forced into the whore house as you know, but after you escaped they threatened to kill me if I didn't work with them to find you. I have been feeding them information about you and the Italian Mafia. Please save yourself. They know where you are and will be coming for you. I'm sorry Eve.
-Maya

Tears fill my eyes and my stomach hurts. My one and only real friend turned against me. I throw up in the toilet. I lean against the wall and cry. I'm officially broken. I have no one and nothing.

I don't know how long but eventually the door started to unlock. I don't care who is on the other side or if Matteo sees me crying, "Eve? Eve, I'm so sorry he locked you in here," it's Rosina, "Are you okay?"

I sniffle trying to slow down my tears, "Y-yeah, can you take me to my room and then give this to your brother. Don't read it though," I say as I hand her the note.

Rosina says nothing as she helps me up and takes me to my room, "I'll be right back," she says as she walks to give Matteo the note.

I lay on my bed, still crying. I go to the closet and change into comfy clothes. I go back into my bed just sit there staring into space. Rosina walks back in with Matteo. She sits next to me. I look up at Matteo, his eyes were filled with a burning rage. He looks at me and instantly I see his eyes soften just a little, just for a second. Then he's back to his angry-mafia-boss self.

"How long did you know about this?" he questions me harshly but not as much as I know he could have. I can tell he was holding back some of his anger.

"I read it after you locked me in the cell. I could have let you know sooner but I was stuck in the god damn cell," I stare off into the space in front of me, not even looking at him.

"I," he pauses, "I'm sorry," I'm a little surprised I never thought I would ever hear Matteo say such a thing, "but you did deserve it."

I continue to cry as Rosina rubs my back, "W-what are you going to do?" I ask Matteo wondering if, now that the Russians know where I am and he knows they are after me, he will kick me out or worse hand me over to them.