34. Can I Stay

"Wow, this is beautiful!" Lucky exclaims, seeing the arranged table. "I feel as if I'm in Japan. Where did you get all this tableware from? I've never seen anything like this in the local shops."

   "Emma arranged it," I praise her immediately. She smiles proudly. "Some I brought from home and some bought online."

   "It's amazing. Good job, sweetie pie," Lucky winks at Emma, making her grin wider.

   "I'll help you with the cooking," Em states, grabbing the bags with the groceries from Jamie .

   "Thanks! Make yourself comfortable, guys. Food will be ready in twenty minutes." I wave them to the sofa and lead Em to the kitchen.

   Emma comes with us and starts preparing soft boiled eggs and some 海苔(nori)*.

   Em has brought shrimps, chicken breasts and thin pork cutlets, a bottle of chardonnay and another of apple sider.

   I take out the products and explain to him how to slice the meat into thin strips, sear them over a heated pan and stew them with some garlic in the soy sauce marinate I've prepared before. It's my own recipe for the toppings which saves one hour of simmering. I get to clean and season the shrimps before I grill them.

   I'm surprised how skillfully Em works, strictly observing my instructions.

   "You look quite experienced in cooking," I note.

   "Yeah, I like it. I was the one who usually cooked back home," he smiles. "Can you imagine that I dreamed of becoming a chef before I started studying finance and playing music?"

   I'm really surprised at this information.

   "My mom was very happy about the cooking," he chuckles, "but not so much about me never cleaning the kitchen after that. I really made a huge mess every time."

   "Do you have any siblings?" I ask, realizing that I know nothing about his family.

   "I have a sister," Em nods. "She's five years older than me. We don't see each other often enough since she lives in Italy with her husband. What about you?"

   "I'm an only child," I answer. "But I consider Emma a sister. She lived in Tokyo for ten years and we've grown very close."

   "Sister, my ass!" Emma grumbles. "Brothers and sisters share more information about certain things." 

   She takes the beverages and leaves the kitchen, muttering something about 'trust and openness' and secrecy not being a good thing between best friends.

   "I'm glad that's the way you see her," Em says. "Honestly, I felt jealous, imagining you two, taking a bath together." 

   He moves behind me and slides his arms round my waist.

   "You're so intoxicating, Sunny. I can't stop thinking about your lips, your skin, those sounds. I can't bear the thought of anyone touching you but me," he whispers in my ear. Goosebumps crawl all over my body. 

   "I'm so surprised with myself. I've never been possessive," he sighs. 

   His mouth slides up my neck to the spot behind my ear. I try to stay calm but my legs are getting weak. The moment his teeth graze my skin, a moan escapes me and I harshly bite my lip to keep quiet.

   Em chuckles softly, turning me to face him. I can't resist and wrap my arms around him.

   "Em, I can't bear the thought of anyone touching me, but you either," I murmur in his chest. "I haven't been with anyone for a very long time, almost three years. I never thought this could ever happen to me again."