8 - You Smell Good

Kaiden

I am so grateful to see my mother's car home when I pull up in my driveway. At least she can give him proper treatment.

I pick him up again. He curls into me and it makes my heart flutter erratically. He's totally out of it.

My blood boils at the thought of the woman's complete neglect of him. What a shit mother to have.

"Mom! Are you home?!" I yell and she walks out of the study upstairs, looking a little annoyed.

Her eyes widen when she sees Nathan and she rushes downstairs as I put him on the big couch in our living room.

"Kaiden, what did you do?! Please don't tell me you hit him while driving!"

"What?! No, he's just very sick and passed out," I tell her, offended at her accusation. She nods, looking relieved.

I take his slippers off and rub his feet. Nora, the other maid, fetches a cold compress. I place it on his head. Mom gets her stethoscope and blood pressure machine. She takes his temperature too.

"His vitals are alright, he should probably come around soon. Keep putting the compress on him and give him these medicines and something to eat when he wakes, okay? Nora, make some hot chicken soup. I have to head to the hospital again. I was just about to leave, good you came in when you did," Mom says, ruffling my hair.

"I've never seen him before, have I?" she asks, putting on her white coat. She suits the profession perfectly, looking gentle and angelic.

"He's a new kid in my class. His name's Nathan."

She kisses the top of my head and leaves, telling me she'll be back late.

"I'll miss you!" I call and she laughs. I hear the click of the door.

I pick Nathan up again, walking to the guest bedroom on the ground floor. He stirs in my arms, slowly opening his eyes and they widen when he sees me. 

"What the fuck, put me down!" he whispers, voice nearly gone from the sore throat.

"Sure," I say and put him down on the bed. He looks around, eyes wide.

"You - you fucking brought me to your house?!" he snaps weakly.

"You need to rest. Lie down, I have to put this cold compress on you," I say and push him back. He pushes my hand away, frowning.

I put the cloth on his head anyway and he grudgingly falls back, sighing.

"WHY did you bring me all the way here?"

"You collapsed on me. Also, I wasn't going anywhere near that awful screaming woman, certainly not alone."

Shailene walks in, carrying a steaming bowl of soup. Nathan's eyes widen and he sits up, glaring daggers at me.

"Vat happened? You should rest," she says. "Eat this while it's hot, yeah?"

He nods, taking the tray from her, looking embarrassed.

"Yes, thank you!" he mumbles and she leaves.

"Eat!" I point to the soup.

"Don't boss me!"

"Then listen to me!"

"Fine!"

He takes a spoonful, nearly moaning at the hot goodness. I smile, flopping on the bed beside him and turn on the T.V.

"You like Marvel?" I ask, since Thor is playing.

"Love it," he says quietly, still digging into the soup. He finishes every last drop, the colour returning to his cheeks a little.