35 - Cloud Nine

Kaiden

I wake to Nathan shaking me.

"Kai, we're home."

I rub my eyes. He's parked in my driveway and it's just four in the afternoon. Did he fly the damn car?

I yawn and look out the window, suddenly hyper aware of his presence. He unlocks the car and gets out, opening the boot. I watch him get my bag out in the rearview.

How has it been only two hours since I was at the beach house? I feel like I've aged two years.

He puts the bag on the porch bench and peers in through the driving seat window.

"You're gonna come out or what?"

Rolling my eyes, I leave the car and pick up my bag, going inside my house.

Nathan is silent, following me. I enter the kitchen. It's eerily quiet, meaning my parents aren't home yet. They were supposed to get back today, maybe they rescheduled. I can never tell with them.

I walk upstairs and open my room, dropping the bag down on the floor. Nathan follows me in. I sit on the bed and face him, taking my shoes off.

The tension in the air can be cut with a needle.

"Why did you come back with me?! I didn't ask you to," Nathan says quietly, leaning against the door.

I look at him. He looks beautiful as usual, hair tousled from the wind. He's worn a black turtleneck and it hugs his toned torso, very different from his usual style. His crossed arms make his muscles pop.

He bites his lip, waiting for my reply.

"I wanted to. It got too much for me, being in Sam's presence after... all of that. " 

Nathan nods. He sits beside me, a little too close to be friendly. My heartbeat picks up immediately.

"I was so.... scared that his dad would find out again."

He places a hand on my knee.

"I lost my shit when Raven said you were hooking up. How could Sam be so careless again, was all I was thinking the whole time I drove there. He was doing the same mistakes again and you were at risk. He can go to hell for all I care but I wasn't going to let him drag you down."

I feel warm all over, under his steady gaze.

"He's manipulative and charming. Trust me, I know. But I... I hated that you were together. I wasn't going to let him hurt you. You're too good for him anyway. You're too good for anyone actually but.... I was so fucking pissed to know you were with Sam of all people!"

He frowns.

"You never mentioned, not even once, that you weren't just friends! Since when have you been messing around?! And why wouldn't you tell me when I asked about the trip?"

I sigh, turning away from him.

"Well, I didn't hide it intentionally. It just, never came up. We didn't even hookup, he drunk kissed me. Then we texted and met up a few times," I sigh, taking my socks off.

"But we both knew it was just physical, until he told me today morning that he actually does like me. He was telling me that when you showed up."

"And?"

I look at him, staring right into his warm hazel eyes.

"And well, then I found out what happened. I'm sorry he hurt you like that, Nathan. I really am," I say softly.