28 - Mother Gothel

Kaiden

The next day, Nathan and I drive to his home after school. He unlocks the door and Zeus leaps on me, licking my face.

"Down boy! Yes, you're a good boy!" I laugh, petting him. "I missed you my baby!"

Zeus rolls over and I tickle him happily. He yelps and whines, enjoying the affection.
God, I love this dog. And his owner but at least the dog likes me back.

Nathan lets him out in the small garden.

"Nathan, is that you?"A high pitched voice calls.

His face turns grim immediately. So I'm finally meeting his mum.

"Where have you been, brat?! You didn't come home last night and I called you so many times!"

Why wasn't he home last night?

A petite, brunette woman comes out of the room beside the kitchen. Her expression changes completely on seeing me.

"Oh! You've brought a guest, how lovely. Should have informed me first. Anyway, how lovely. I'm Melissa Summers!"

She smiles, a cold smile which doesn't reach her grey eyes. Her hair is in a bun atop her head. She looks fragile but something about her is unsettling. I have heard her scream at Nathan once and I don't like her already.

"Hello Ma'am, I'm Kaiden Pierce. Nice to meet you," I say politely, not meaning it in the slightest.

"Such a nice name you have! Um, what happened to your face?"

I almost laugh. The bruises are still green but getting better although they're painful as hell.

"I fell. It was an accident."

"Oh okay. Nathan go get him water and get me some iced water too while you're at it," she orders, not looking at him. Like he is her damn servant or something.

Hell, my mother doesn't even speak to Shailene and Nora like this and they're our actual househelps.

"You're in the same class? Please, have a seat."

"Well yeah, we share many classes," I mutter, hesitantly sitting down. "Even art."

Nathan hands me a glass of water and gives the other to his mom. I thank him and he sits beside me on the couch, his thigh touching mine. His back is tense and I want to grab his hands and comfort him.

"Yeah I don't know why he took art. He's never been an artsy person. Just doesn't like sitting in one place, always running about. He's barely home, off at some stupid camp or other. God knows what he does there, but if I say something I'm the bad guy huh," she laughs dryly.

"We met at his summer camp. He's really popular among everyone, considering the amazing skills he has! Also, he can climb faster than any human I've seen," I say evenly, meeting her cold gaze. Her face falls, not expecting me to defend Nathan.

"Do you want to eat something? Some cookies perhaps?"

"Oh no, we both just ate."

"Oh you already ate? Couldn't you have told me that? Who's going to eat the food I made? Wasting my time and the food," she snaps, her voice tight, glare fixed on Nathan.

Most mothers I have met don't reprimand their kids in the presence of a guest, but not this woman. He's staring at his feet.

"Uh, we were at my house, doing an assignment and we ate there. Sorry about your food," I mutter, not feeling sorry at all.