Chapter 15- A small incident

Though initially, alarmed with the new tutor, she behaved quite exactly what I would expect from a tutor. Rigorous, but in a calm asserted way, never pushing too far her boundaries.

I still hated the subjects and, even if not completely failing them, I was not good either. Never been a fan of useless things anyway... unless if they were cute and pretty. None could actually describe those torturous lessons.

After some weeks of extenuating work, Lady Beatrice and the duke decided we could have an afternoon free during the following weekends. And I knew exactly what I was going with the first one.

Yes, you can almost guess it as well! Alchemy!

In the last few days, I was so bored with these lady studies that I decided to go forward with experimenting with an alchemy recipe. A simple one, that I was able to understand already.

I would have to be careful, as not to be caught by Lady Beatrice since she was allowed to stay as a guest in order to have more time to tutor us.

To help me on this endeavour I enlisted the aid of my trusted and only personal maid, Fanny. Fanny was, for lack of a better word, not as enthusiastic as myself with the prospect of me starting alchemy.

"No and no!  And more no, my lady!" She gave me a stark eye glance and had again her exasperation stance.

We were in the middle of her preparing me for the day when I told her of my plans, hoping to have less fuss from her side as she busied herself with my hairstyle. In the end, I ended up with my hair all over the place as she continued to reinforce her strong opinion against my future experiment.

"Fanny, don't worry! I chose the easiest recipe! And the ingredients are all common, no one would notice what we are doing, as long it is done in secrecy!" I told with pleading eyes, though not sure she would see them as my hair was all over my face.

She was still not convinced but, Fanny ended up agreeing, as long as I promised I wouldn't make her go to the black market again and to be very careful while doing it. Easy things to promise!

And so we prepared the material during the week before our resting afternoon. I had wanted to discuss my plan with Cedric before, however, due to my heavy class schedule, I was unable to see him for my alchemy session. Sure it wouldn't be a problem, I am a trained engineer, even if I didn't practice it for two years.

The day finally arrived, and I was excited all morning, counting the minutes for the boring lecture of lady Beatrice on how to sit properly, to end. She didn't seem to notice my lack of interest, as it was the usual way for me. Fanny however looked at me with displeasing eyes during our lunch and the lesson, which I returned with a sly smile.

Jenni, sweet and hardworking, was paying close attention to the class, as usual. Yet, I caught her curious eyes as she noticed me and then Fanny. It was then that I pretended to be in full attention mode at the tutor's words. I wouldn't want Jenni to find out as she would join Fanny and be against me on my experiment.

And Jenni was less inclined to do as I told...

In the afternoon, after lunch, I made sure to invent an excuse to go to my room. A headache was enough to have me prevented from going on a walk with Jenni and the Duke to the gardens. Though Jenni looked at me with some suspicions, she didn't say anything and went on with her plans to make a company the Duke's on a walk.

Gobbie was his idiotic self and made a gigantic sad face. Tears fell on his face as if the biggest tragedy had befallen him.

I don't even want to talk about the scandalous scream for a doctor to come! He put the house in complete chaos! Thankfully he calmed down with Jenni's and his aide's reassuring words.