Chapter 3- What to do?

The days passed in a tired blur. Though the trip had been an interesting and quick one, my body fell ambushed to the tiredness and I barely did a thing for days. Oh, I lie... I was able to hide my alchemy books, but not much more. A quite easy feat, since Jenni was in her thoughtful mood and Fanny was too stressed to look into my bags. And the other servants didn't know what those unsuspecting brown leather books were. Easy, breezy.

They were safe, under my keep, hidden behind some unsuspecting books in my desk drawer. Collecting dust, they waited for me to know what to do next. Which was hard. To even out my thoughts, I concentrated on understanding my surroundings, my new life. The house was massive, yet far from the opulence of the Mountnero family. It had a certain charm inside. Walls painted in pastel tones and bright colours were free of the gold excess that once filled my days. It had flowers and plants everywhere, and even rocks (yes, just plain rocks) lying around as decorations. The manor was pretty, and all decorations worked well, but I couldn't imagine a Mountnero living here.

It had, of course, more strangeness (because there is always more). I stayed in the "family" wing, where the rooms for sleeping and hobby were situated. The other wing was the "work" wing, which had the offices, the kitchens and the servants' quarters (except for Fanny, who slept close by). I never went there, but I was told it was where Emmanuel had his living quarters.

Except for the weirdness in the arrangement of rooms and such, it was a warm home. Full of employees with wide smiles and gentle disposition. They were happy to have us there, and always glad to help.

I got a room, big as my previous one, full of stuff brought from the Mountnero palace, neatly arranged and reorganized. Every time I woke, the mountains and the sight of the lake of Aerabitina greeted me. A breathtaking sight that energized me each morning. 

It was all great and proper, on the Rosalinda manor (as they called the house around here), until it wasn't. I had restful days, eating the best food, enjoying the weather and seeing new things. Then the tiredness went away, leaving only the sourness. I felt unsettled and my blood boiled, the images of my weak state ingrained in my mind. That could never happen again... Those tears, that suffering, that fragility... never. It hadn't been time to think about it before, but the moment has arrived.

There could be no more excuses, I would stop it all. I had by now grown enough to find a way to protect myself, so I could face a future without the Mountnero. On a world without their murderous craziness.

While lost in my thoughts, I began to pace in my room. By then, the warm light of the Sun hit the silver frames of my bed, making the room illuminate as a jewel, something that made it feel magical and delicate. A soft knock interrupted me and I looked to the door, only to find the head of Fanny peering inside.  She was coming to check if I would be interested in some tea. Fanny, as usual, had impeccable timing, even if she was not aware of it.

"Fanny I am so glad to see you here!" I said with my open arms. Fanny shot a surprised "oh" before having her eyebrows furrow. She was learning... "I need to enlist your help for something. I am thinking of restarting my alchemy studies."

At my words, Fanny grew serious and closed the door behind her before crossing her arms. "You cannot, my lady!" I let my hands fall to the side. She had indeed learned... bollocks...

"Why not?" I ask with my innocent face, staying put in my place.

There was a big sigh coming out Fanny's mouth and I saw her hand massage her temples. "Lady Jennifer told me what happened to Lady Beatrice... About the cane... She has begged me to help her stop you, my lady, from doing something as dangerous as alchemy. A task I took with pleasure!" exclaimed Fanny with her hands on her hips. Her prefered position when scolding me.

She was not wrong... If aunt Belladona's words were correct then it was a dangerous affair. Yet, how could I defend myself? This was the only way I knew...

Maybe I could learn a new thing? I smiled, and Fanny, who had an exasperated expression, recoiled. Her learning had been vast...

"What about sword fighting?" I wondered, my fingers dancing on my face.

"You cannot..." gasped Fanny, her hands on her mouth. "My lady, how could you think of such dangerous activity?"

I grew frustrated and I slapped my cheek, causing Fanny to rush to my side in worry. "My cheek has been cut and bruised. More than once. My body too. It's time to stop it. My cheek demands it!" Fanny went a full minute without reaction, her eyes enlarged by the shock.

And I admit... I was a tad too dramatic... But after almost dying, there was a need for action. To be stopped because I was a lady was too infuriating. Besides, almost seeing death for a second time entitled me to some dramatic time.

Fanny's hand came closer to my cheek touching it with softness. It didn't hurt, though I was sure a red mark was appearing. Her hand, cold, provided and cool sensation on my face.

"Oh, my lady... you didn't need to hurt yourself." she took her hand away and stared into my eyes. Her sadness was transparent on her face and it made me feel small. "A lady does not do such things..."

Maybe she should...

"I am sorry, Fanny."

"I understand." she shook her head, stopping my apologies. "I will go fetch a cream for your cheek."Fanny walked back ways, and when she reached closer to the door she dashed outside. Leaving me to my silence.

"It was only a backup plan anyways." I said to myself, my fingers touching my red spot. They were warmer and did nothing to alleviate the tingling sensation on my skin. And on my stomach.

I didn't want to give up my studies on alchemy. It had taken too much time to reach somewhere. So much ingenuity and effort poured into starting it, the worst would be just to give up when I hadn't reached anything of substance. When I started to enjoy it.

But Belladona's words shouldn't be taken lightly. I didn't want to be twisted into a murderous crazy lady... yet... I felt that she was hiding something. Being honest was hardly a task the Mountnero were good at.

I needed a second opinion. From someone versed in the path of the Goddess, but free of the constraints of the Temple. Free of Belladona.

My smile grew and my body began to walk to the door. And I knew just the perfect person for that...

Time to meet Emmanuel.

What do you think?

Is Lulu right? I do feel she was a little harsh, but I do understand her point. She wants to defend herself and she needs a way to do so.

Do you think Emmanuel is going to help her, though?

(Next chapter is a fav of mine... I had fun writing it XD)-I am going to try to have it by Sunday.