Chapter 35- The importance of scissors

After our "fiasco" of adventure, we, "the children" were sent, by a fastidious drama queen, back to our formal drawing-room. However, this time, Gobbie made sure Josef watched over us while he worked on his audience with the Emperor.

The aide observed from a corner, making himself scarce, while he made sure everything was under control. And while I felt that being watched was a drag, it didn't mean we couldn't have some fun.

I decided then, rightfully so, to present my babies, my loves. My weapons.

It was a success between the Moon boys and Amelia, the last enthralled by these strange weapons and what they could do. Though I had the keen suspicion that she would have loved to talk about any other weapon. Her fascination with those mixed with her innocence-like nature was an interesting combination.

Her eccentricities intrigued me. I was not "better" than her, in a way I was way "worse", since I had taken the firearms as my hobby and I had now gained a spider for a pet. In a land like the Sun Empire, that was far from the "normal". But just felt closer to her.

"If you continue like this, Lady Lucreatia, his excellency the Duke will have those in double offered every year." joked Francis, through the rim of his teacup while he watched me showing my heaviest musket. And probably the most expensive, if the rivers of encrusted jewels were any sign.

He sat next to Jenni and Eloise, eating and savouring the rest of our tea table goodies. Cedric, however, stood by my side, a pistol in his hands, as he inspected it closely. Though unlikely to be as close as Amelia, who almost touched her nose on the golden and silver musket secured in her hands. The one once gifted to the duke when I celebrated my tenth anniversary.

"Father." interceded Cedric. "Is already searching for more. He is considered to be the biggest collector of rare weapons in both Empires. I think he is already expecting the next meeting with his seller." He weighed the pistol with his hands, trying to understand how heavy it was and how well-balanced the craftsman had made it to be. A smile crossed his lips. "He will send them soon as presents to you."

I pulled down my musket, making it lean on the couch facing Francis and the others. My question hanging enough on my face that Cedric was already mumbling an answer. "I talk about you to Father. He likes you. Next time he visits, he would like to have a word with you." His face grew as red as his eyes and I understood that I had caught something he had wished to maintain private, though I was not sure what it was exactly. I nodded, uncertain of what to say. Meeting Emperor Salazar may not bode well for me, even when prince Cedric's confident remarks appear to say otherwise. If the book was to be believed, and so the rumours in the Sun Empire, the Moon emperors had a wicked sense of "like".

"Is this how you use the weapons in a real confrontation? Will I see you use them again?" asked Amelia, while she tried to replicate my posture back in the woods when I shot into the shadows and at the little spider, who was now stuffing its face with a small piece of a ham sandwich at the tea table.

I gently pushed the barrel down, mindful of the power of the musket. "I promised Emmanuel I would only use these in self-defence." I raised a hand to my chin, scratching it. "I would only strike if I felt threatened. Just like before."

Protests sang from the table. My description of the events had caused unhappiness in the little spider. I laughed and went to pet it, a finger rubbing on her soft head, putting her in a pleased mood again.

"We should stop talking so much about weapons." declared Jenni. Through the rim of her teacup, she shot me a pleading glance. "With so great food at our disposal, it would be unwise to waste it with such violent discussions."

"Indeed, my Lady." agreed Fanny, passing through lord Fridh, who walked in circles around the room as if trying to see something he could use to dispel his boredom.