68

Percy didn't speak as Bruce explained what had happened. He simply sat in shock. Occasionally, he'd be asked a question by Strange or the other man who'd introduced himself as Wong. He wouldn't reply, pretending he didn't hear.

"We need Tony Stark," Bruce said, which made Percy look up at him. Tony. That's exactly who they needed, yes. "We need him. He'll know what to do."

"On it," Strange stood, summoning a portal that gave Percy a view of Pepper and Tony, who seemed to be out for a walk near the Statue of Liberty. He'd left a note for Tony before leaving to look for Odin months before so he wouldn't be worried about him. Presently, he breathed shakily in relief to see Tony, who he thought he'd never see again. Strange presented himself before Tony. "Tony Stark, I'm Doctor Stephen Strange. I need you to come with me," he paused to look at Pepper. "Oh, uh, congratulations on the wedding, by the way."

"You giving out tickets or something?" Tony asked.

"We need your help," Strange said. "Look, it's not overselling to say that the fate of the Universe is at stake."

"Who's 'we'?"

Bruce stepped out from the portal, much to Tony's surprise. "Hey, Tony."

"Bruce."

"Pepper," Bruce turned to look at Pepper.

"Hi," she smiled.

"You okay?" Tony hugged Bruce desperately, thinking he had been dead. Everyone had thought the same, of course. After saying goodbye to Pepper, Tony walked in to see Percy sitting on a bench, looking very lost. His face immediately went from neutral to pure worry. He walked to Percy. "Percy?" He asked, and Percy immediately stood and hugged him. "Whoah, okay, okay, what happened?"

"I don't want to talk right now," he replied quietly. After a bit of catching up and Tony being worried on why Percy's face was unusually pale and tearstained, he, Percy, Bruce, Wong and Strange surrounded a table as they explained to Tony what had happened and who Thanos was.

"Tell me his name again," Tony said, eyes not diverting from the magical hologram Wong had displayed.

"Thanos," Bruce answered. Percy flinched at the name, looking at the floor. "He's a plague, Tony. He invades planets. He takes what he wants. He wipes out half the population. He sent Loki; that's him."

"Can we not mention Loki right now?" Percy asked quietly. Worry was consuming him. If anyone heard him, they didn't make a show of it.

"This is it..." Tony muttered. "What's our timeline?"

"No telling. He has the Power and Space Stones; that already makes him the strongest creature in the whole universe. If he gets his hands, on all six Stones, Tony-" Bruce began, but Percy cut him off.

"We don't know if he has the Space Stone yet, Bruce," Percy turned around to look at him.

"But if he does have it, he can destroy life on a scale hitherto undreamt of," Strange said.

"Did you seriously just say "hitherto undreamt of"?" Tony asked, leaning on a cauldron.

"Are you seriously leaning on the Cauldron of the Cosmos?" He shot back almost immediately.

"Is that what this is?" Tony asked, and Strange's red, levitating cloak slapped him, receiving an incredulous look from Tony, who then straightened up. "I'm going to allow that. If Thanos needs all six, why don't we just stick this one down the garbage disposal?"

He pointed to the eye-shaped locket around Strange's neck. The Time Stone. Strange shut him down immediately. "No can do."

"We swore an oath to protect the Time Stone with our lives," Wong said.