💙Chapter 16💙

A patient man will eat ripe fruit.
~African proverb.

Vroom.

I heard the vibration of my phone early in the morning which awakened me from sleep. I never get messages in the morning and that was why the vibration was enough to wake me up.

I looked at the time on my phone.

04:20

Who would send a text this early in the morning?

I opened the message, only to see that it was from Xavier.

Why would he send me a text so early in the morning?

I rubbed my eyes as the brightness of my phone screen made me squint.

Mr. Jackson told me to tell you that we will be having a math competition today at another school.  So I guess you have to come to school early and also prepare for the competition. Trust me, I was upset with him for not telling us in advance. Anyways see you at school, babe.

Babe?

I laughed when I read that text. Xavier seemed to be loving the pretense thing because he even called me babe on text. I don't know why, but I actually love that he called me that.

See you at school and don't let advanced math intimidate you because it is as easy as pie. Get it?

I know that was a dry joke but I was only trying to make him laugh.

Lol, I get it. What do you call an adorable angle?
Acute angle.

I read the text and immediately it sent me laughing until I was holding my belly. I don't know why I found it so funny.

I knew I would sit, telling him terrible math jokes so I tried to end the conversation.

You are killing me. What a nice joke! I can stay all day telling math jokes but we have a competition, so I guess we might continue at school.

After replying to him I got off my bed and grabbed my math book. I had two hours to do some minimal revision, so it wouldn't hurt to use it.

"Luna!" Screamed my usual alarm clock. Mom would always wake me up early for school but since I had already woken up, it was not necessary for her to.

"Mom, I am already up, I was studying!" I screamed from my room. Our bedrooms were so close to each other that she could hear me from my bedroom.

"What a miracle! You woke up in the morning to study? I am proud of you my child. Why---?" My mom got interrupted by my father.

"You guys can talk later, I am trying to sleep and all this screaming is annoying." My dad screamed from the bedroom, interrupting my conversation with my mom.

Many would find it weird that we normally speak to each other like that but the shouting is a regular part of our mornings.

I put my math book in my bag because I felt like I had done enough revision. Then I entered the bathroom to take a shower and brushed my teeth in preparation for school.

After an hour of me and the bathroom, I came out of the bathroom feeling cleaner.  Then I immediately headed to the kitchen because the studying made me so hungry.

I got disappointed when I found that my mom had not cooked anything which shocked me because that woman is always on time. She was not even in the kitchen which she normally is by now.

I never cook, not because I don't know how to, but because my mother always refuses me to. She normally thinks I can not cook something everyone can love so she normally does all the cooking. So today, I wanted to shock everyone.

I made some French toast and paired it with some fresh fruit, a few slices of bacon, and then I drizzled maple syrup on top.

I placed the dishes on the table, waiting for my parents to come and eat what I prepared. I even decorated the dish just so that I could shock them.

"Is that burnt food I am smelling ?" My mom said when she entered the kitchen. I knew she would criticize me and I was only waiting for her to fire more insults.

"Mom just sit and eat my well-prepared breakfast," I said, trying to keep her from insulting me further.

She looked at me with an incredulous look plastered on her face and decided to sit down. She took a bite of the French toast without saying a word. The fact that she did not mention anything, made me smirk out of accomplishment; because if it was not tasty, she would have mentioned it immediately.

We both continued to eat our breakfast silently and that was when my dad showed up. He seemed excited to eat because he immediately took a seat and began to eat.

"Oh my God, babe, this is amazing." He praised my mother, thinking it was her that made that breakfast." This is even better than most of the breakfast you make. You should be doing  such more often."

I smiled at my mother and then I almost wanted to tell my dad that it was me that deserved the praises he was giving, but my mom gave me the 'don't-tell-him-you-are-the-one-that-made- this-breakfast-face'. So I kept my mouth shut and listened to my dad as he praised my mom.

"Why were you studying?" My dad asked abruptly, surprising me. Why would he ask such an obvious question?

"Because I am in school," I answered him in the politest way I could think of.

"No there is another reason. "He said, making me arch my eyebrow. Okay, I understand them for getting shocked at the fact that I would wake up to study; but I do study.

"We are having a math competition today with another school and I am one of the participants that have been chosen, so I needed to study for it," I said honestly.

"Now I can believe that!" My dad said, sounding relieved." The daughter I have rarely wakes up; just to study. She isn't into school, she is more into boys like what is that boy's name again?... Tristan, yeah that is his name."

My mouth gaped open. Mom told him about Tristan because he even knew his name. Did she just tell him that I like Tristan?

Oh, no, that woman is not to trust. I don't think I can ever trust her now after hearing my dad knows all about it.

I looked at my mom and my mom turned her head to the side, shielding her face from my view. Nice one mom, now dad thinks I don't focus on school.

I didn't want to argue with my dad because my grades say otherwise.  So I decided to change the topic and cut him short.

"Dad, I think I need to go to school right now because I am required to report early."

"Okay honey, let me take you." My mom said. She seemed like she was trying to make up for telling my dad everything.

I glared daggers at her when getting out of my seat and then I said bye to my dad and entered the car.

Mom drove the car without saying anything. She was guilty and she knew it. She didn't even apologize or try to get into any girl talk.

I almost wanted to tell her all that happened during the past few days but I realized that if I did, she would probably tell dad everything. Even though she would tell dad everything, my mouth was itching to tell her. I just wanted to update her on my life.

"Mom," I said, breaking the awkward silence in the car.

"Yes." She said excitedly as though she knew that I wanted to start a girl talk.

I wanted to tell her everything but then I noticed we were already near the school. " It's fine, I guess I will tell you later."

She looked more excited than before and a huge grin  formed on her face." Okay."

In no time, we already arrived at the school and my mom parked the car and then I came out of it. She was smiling more than before which made me wonder why exactly I tell her everything when she always snitches on me.

I said bye to her then entered the school.