ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵗʷᵉⁿᵗʸ ᶠᵒᵘʳ

''PIPER, WHAT - THERE WERE MONSTERS - THERE WERE MONSTERS-''

Whilst borrowing the helicopter had been easy, getting her dad on board was not. Piper had only needed a few words through Leo's improvised bullhorn to convince the pilot to land on the mountain. The Park Service copter was big enough for medical evacuations or search and rescue, and when Piper told the very nice ranger pilot lady that it would be a great idea to fly them to the Oakland Airport, she readily agreed.

Piper needed both Leo and Jason's help to hold him, while Coach Hedge and Noelani gathered their supplies. Fortunately, Hedge has put his pants and shoes back on and currently wasn't talking, so Piper didn't have to explain the goat legs and Noelani didn't have to listen to him.

It broke Piper's heart to see her dad like this - pushed beyond the breaking point, crying like a little boy. She didn't know what the giant had done to him exactly, how the monsters had shattered his spirit, but she didn't think she could stand to find out.

''It'll be okay, dad,'' she said, making her voice as soothing as possible. She didn't want to charmspeak her own father, but it was the only way. ''These people are my friends. We're going to help you. You're safe now.''

He blinked, and looked up at the helicopter rotors. ''Blades. They had a machine with so many blades. They had six arms...''

When they got him to the bay doors, the pilot came over to help. ''What's wrong with him?'' She asked.

''Smoke inhalation,'' Jason suggested. ''Or heat exhaustion.''

Noelani sighed slightly. Apparently, they thought leaving all the medical lying to the actual medic was a bad idea. ''He's been hallucinating, slight temperature and paranoia. You should take him to the nearest airport.''

''Airport? He needs a doctor, a hospital-''

Noelani moved closer to Piper so she could repeat her words, but with her own charm on them. Piper nodded, getting the message straight away and copied her word for word, ''He's fussy when it comes to hospitals. We've called his friend, they'll pick him up at the airport and take him to his usual one.''

The woman raised an eyebrow.

''It's okay,'' Piper said. ''The airport is good.''

''Yeah, the airport is good,'' the pilot agreed immediately. Then she frowned, as if uncertain why she'd changed her mind. ''Isn't he Tristan McLean, the movie star?''

''No.'' Piper said. ''He only looks like him. Forget it.''

''Yeah,'' the pilot said. ''Only looks like him. I-'' She blinked, confused. ''I forgot what I was saying. Let's get going.''

Finally, they got him on board, and the helicopter took off. The pilot kept getting questions over her radio, asking her where she was going, but she ignored them. They veered away from the burning mountain and headed towards the Berkeley Hills.

''Piper.'' Her dad grasped her hand and held onto it like he was afraid he'd fall. ''It's you? They told me - they told me you would die. They said... horrible things would happen.''

''It's me, dad.'' It took all her willpower not to cry. She had to be strong for him. ''Everything's going to be okay.''

''They were monsters,'' he said. ''Real monsters. Earth spirits, right out of Grandpa Tom's stories - and the Earth Mother was angry with me. And the giant, Tsui'kálú, breathing fire -'' He focused on Piper again, his eyes like broken glass, reflecting a crazy kind of light. ''They said you were a demigod. Your mother was...''

''Aphrodite,'' Piper said. ''Goddess of love.''

''I-I-'' He took a shaky breath, then seemed to forget how to exhale.