Twenty | To Scare or To Be Scared

J U L I A N D U B O I S

I think I am the master of scaring people. But only on Halloween because it never tends to work on any other day.

I have been giving Ezra and Anneliese pop-up scares since our sophomore year of college.

Ew saying that makes me feel old.

Just pretend I am still 19. Got it? Cool.

They know it is coming but they are never sure what time. One year when the twins were one year old, I scared the shit out of Anneliese.

For once in my life, I paired up with Ezra to pull of the best scare of all time. He let me into his house at around five on Halloween morning and told me Anneliese should get to the kitchen at around 5:15 to get ready for work.

She was working at a high school to do some musical stuff the Reids love. Anyways, the time hits 5:15 am and I am ducked behind the opposite side of the island counter. When I hear her footsteps that's when I pop up.

I swear she let out a higher scream than she did the first year I scared her.

How do I say this... my plan worked but failed because she almost passed out in Ezra's arms. She hates me for it and I think it was because not one, but both of the twins ended up waking up. Their crying was more miserable than my eight-month-olds.

The rest of the morning was spent in my clown outfit rocking baby Dakota in my arms while Ezra was holding Delaney. It was treacherous.

Ten out of ten do not recommend.

When the teens run into my house I know their parents are about to be home soon. "What are the updates?" I ask them collectively. Delaney shows me the text messages she sent to Anneliese letting her know that I had a last-minute coaching call thirty minutes away. I think it is a stupid lie but it will work for now.

"I think I should hide in the corner area by your front porch."

Set the scene, the Reids house has a few steps of stairs leading up to the front door. At the bottom of those steps is a walkway area that has a hidden corner as soon as you turn left. That is where I am going to hide. It will be the perfect area.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" The fact that my son even asks this question is bizarre.

"You do know who we are scaring right? Anneliese Greyson."

"Reid." Delaney corrects me.

My face screams the did I ask expression. "Yeah whatever, she is a Reid but she is always Anneliese Greyson to us." I throw that conversation aside. "As I was saying before her mini interrupted me, Delaney will be the one to lure her parents."

"Why me?" She complains.

"Because you just corrected me."

"The word because never comes first in a sentence." She corrects me again now making me want to ignore her completely.

"Are you Reid girls always like this? I swear you and your mom are the same people but in disguise."

Delaney laughs. "I got it from my dad. He has always corrected my grammar."

Ezra Reid may be one of the smartest guys I know. It's a no-brainer that he passed that gene onto his kids. I've been saying this and will never stop saying this. The Reids are quite literally mini einsteins. I feel dumb around him. But who needs smartness when you have the most impeccable humor as I do?

Nyla's phone starts ringing and she steps outside to quickly answer it. Dakota slips around the corner following her out. I know something is up when Delaney tries to cover her mouth and stop a smile from cracking through. They know something I don't.