Chapter 24: Kaius's Past

I didn't feel relaxed until I watched Micah run into his father's arms.

Watching them made me feel at peace for only a moment. That was until I remembered Kaius Hale standing next to me. Or rather just Kaius for the king of the world needs to last name.

He took he home in silence and watched me limp to his office before sitting down.

Now I am wishing to dissolve into this comfortable chair and avoid whatever thoughts he must be having with his back to me.

He is in deep thought looking out the window and the suspense is killing me. I need to say something.

"Kaius..."

"Hmh?"

He keeps his back to me. "I know."

He turns and his golden eyes land on me.

"I know who you are."

"I know. I could tell by your face when I saved you."

I lean forward, wanting to be closer to him. To tell him I'm not going to run.

As I lean forward in my chair, I wince in pain. The adrenaline has gone now and the pain from the crash is back.

My slightly teary eyes meet his shoes as he approaches me.

I look up to him as he kneels in front of me and puts his hands on my cheek. It isn't affectionate but ridged are hard. I frown as I look into his cold eyes, wondering what he is doing.

Then I feel it. Or rather don't feel it. The pain fades and when I look down to my wrist, I see that it's back to normal.

"Mates can heal each other with one touch." He says as he stands and begins to return to his spot behind the desk, away from me.

I reach out to him and grip his hand. This time it isn't the bond making me do this but my own choice.

His eyes widen but I don't let him get a word in.

"Who else knows? About your true identity?"

He frowns. "Just you and Ryder. And I presume Lucy now since she is the Royal Beta Female."

"Tell me about why you hate Fenris. Other than what he has done. I can tell you have a bad history."

Kaius grows stiff. My touch is no longer calming him.

"I don't want to talk about it just for you to still leave."

So that's why he is so cold still.

"Kaius, I'm not going anywhere." I look to the ground and lick my lips, finding my mouth dry all of the sudden. I grip Kaius's hand tighter. "I wanted to leave because you were keeping things from me. You wouldn't let me see the real Kaius. Now I know who you are and I want nothing more than I stay."

"If you stay, you know what that means right? Everything you stand for, all your hopes and dreams to avoid the werewolf world will be non existent."

"I know that. I don't know how I feel about being Queen but I'm willing to face it head on so long as you are next to me."

Kaius's eyes soften and I see the sliver of a tear tease at the corner of his eye. "Your in danger. If you accept your position as Queen, you will be in even more danger. I cannot be killed by conventional means but you can. What just happened out there was a test to see if I would come save you."

"So Fenris set Ralph free to have him try and kill me. To see if you would show up for your mate?"

He nods. "Now he knows for sure. He tested us a few times like at the restaurant. If you becomes Queen, he will have proof beyond a reasonable doubt."