xxxix. the foolish king

Third Person POV...

August: Younger brother + prince
Augustus: Uncle + king

[Name]'s stifled laughter reaches his ears, and it wasn't long before she burst out laughing. The captains were trying their hardest to not laugh along with her, and the civilians just looked on in shock. Sure, she's a part of the knights and all, but to mock the king outright? She's asking to be executed!

August, the young boy, looks at his father in shock. Who is she to be laughing like that? It intrigued him. Even if the current king was weak, he was still their king. The knights act respectful towards him for that reason. That's something everyone knows.

Augustus seethes.

But for this girl, who isn't even a captain, to be laughing at me? Not to mention, she's a peasant, isn't she?

Disgusting.

Peasants shouldn't be joining the knights. They're tainting this pure order with their revolting magic! If it were up to me, I'd lay waste to the Forbidden Realm and put statues up for all to see my glory!

But Julius will always mess it up.

Julius... that eyesore..! If it weren't for the Magic King and his powerful Time Magic, then Augustus would have everything he wanted. Everything he thought he needed. Beautiful girls, delectable food, those poor peasants would be gone.

He'd be doing not only himself, but his kingdom a huge favor if he got rid of them. But Julius just won't see that!

[Name] finally calms her laughter during the montage of his thoughts, wiping away tears and unclenching her stomach.

But before the weak and foolish king could call for his guards, [Name] suddenly says, "This weak little thing you call a king is my uncle?"

Her voice was loud and it was only then that the king realized it was silent. Almost too silent. It's not possible. It can't be.

Augustus' head whips towards her and then to Julius. The three of them seem to be the only ones aware that time has frozen.

[Name] grins her little grin. "Let's talk about this later, 'cuz you're about to be live uncle!"

Live-?

And just like that, the crowd was bustling again, stifling their laughter, and talking amongst each other.

They don't notice the animosity between [Name] and Augustus, however.

He clears his throat, faking that disgusting smile that everyone hates.

"Thank you everyone for coming out to see your glorious king tonight! I shall now bless you with my brilliant magic!" The crowd was silent, and one could hear the crickets chirp.

But at the king's word, a dazzling light shone behind him.

But that was all it was.

A simple light.

No wonder the king feels inferior... [Name] thinks. Since that's all he's got.

He is a weak and foolish king.

————
hi i'm sorry this one is so short
i've been writing this one for at least a couple of weeks but i couldn't figure out what else to add

Words: 474

Published: February 23rd, 2022

Edited:————