🎀 13 🎀

mark held his hand out for his little sister to take while they walked back home.

"mark, i had a A in maths today!" maria happily exclaimed as she bounded on her feet while holding her brother's hand.

"that's good." mark replied simply, checking both sides of the street before crossing the road.

"and the teacher said i had done a very good art project in class too. we had to draw the things we would love to have." maria continued. "i drew mom, you and i along with sungchan and jaesun, because i want sungchan to be my brother."

mark hummed. maria had been raised without a father, and mark knew that he could have been a better brother to her, but sadly, the past was the past, and you couldn't change it anymore. perhaps, if sungchan came to become their new sibling, he would take better care of maria, and him and jaesun would give her the opportunity to have a real family.

"mark?"

"yeah?" the teenager looked at his sister immediately.

"what about you? how was your day?"

"huh..."

mark didn't need too much time to recall what had happened that day.

all of his friends bombarding him with questions on his crush – because jaehyun had obviously told one of them since he couldn't keep secrets for more than two days.

the literature test that he had completely failed because he couldn't bring himself to think about 'something that has recently been inspiring to you' other than donghyuck.

and the way he missed the bus which caused him to get to maria's school by foot.

all in all, a long day.

"it was busy." mark told simply.

"oh, okay." maria nodded. "well, i had the best mark in maths. i'm so happy!"

🎀

mark was peacefully revising when his little sister barged inside his room with tears rolling down her cheeks.

"maria? why are you crying?" he asked, immediately standing up and walking to her.

"i-i... i-i f-forgot h-haechan..." she sobbed, sniffling a few times.

"you forgot haechan?" mark asked, trying not to sound too panicked. what did that even mean? what had happened to his poor little donghyuck? his newfound crush?

"y-yes... a-at... a-at school..." maria nodded.

mark let out a sigh of relief.

it was nothing too bad, donghyuck was just at school.

"it's okay, stop crying." mark hugged his little sister, comforting her.

"b-but... i-i... i w-want him b-back!" she continued crying loudly.

"i know, i know." mark caressed her head. "i'll go and take him at your school, okay? it should be still open. i'll go and ask for haechan, and i'll bring it back to you."

maria sniffled, nodding energetically as her loud sobs ceased.

"you stay home, okay? i'll be quick, don't worry. and if you ever have a problem, don't hesitate to call me using the house phone, okay? my number is on the fridge." mark explained, making his sister nod.