Chapter 1

"So," Gwen says as they are speeding away from the blaze that was their house, "what do you want to do for New Year's?"

"I've got this Hillbilly Step-Cousin we could visit." AJ states.

"That sounds... interesting." Gwen sat back and sighed. "What are we going to do? I mean, we BLEW UP OUR HOUSE! Not to mention murdered 3 people... if they really were alive."

"I don't know." AJ stared ahead at the road. "Why don't we go to Bub's and we can regroup there."

"Is it far away?" Gwen asked with a yawn.

"About 30 miles away. Just sit back and go to sleep. I'll wake you when we're there." He grabbed her hand and gave it a kiss. Gwen smiled at him and sat back and closed her eyes.

"Hush child, your Granny's here!"

Gwen awoke with a start. They were parked at a house that was completely dark. "Baby, are you okay?" AJ looked at her concerned.

"Umm, yeah. Were you trying to wake me?"

"I only said we're here."

"Oh, um, okay. It's awfully dark in there. Maybe you should call him?"

"Good idea." AJ picked up his phone and dialed his cousin. "Voicemail."

Gwen sighed. "Okay, what about someone else who we could room with until we talk to the landlord and see what we need to do? Jules and Adrianna?"

"No, they were going to her family's house for the holidays." AJ reminded her.

"How about David and Kaela? Shudge, they were going on that cruise. Oh! What about Kevin and Katie? They were going to have a quiet Christmas at home. Maybe we can crash there?"

"I'll give them a call." AJ dials Kevin's number and tells him the story and that they need a place to crash for a bit until their house is fixed.

"Okay, thank you so much Kevin. You two are life savers. We definitely owe you. Thank you." AJ hung up and started the car again and headed to Kevin and Katie's house.