Chapter 4

After the run to the store, Gwen goes to lay down. AJ makes the call to set up a reservation for the two of them. Katie can hardly contain her excitement for their spa day.

After a couple hours, AJ goes back to check on Gwen. He finds her thrashing around a bit, mumbling. His heart starts breaking for her, for what all Granny put her through, and the effects it has had on Gwen. He starts waking her up, and is able to discern what she is saying.

"Gotta run! Gotta hide! She's planning homicide! AJ, where are you? I'll scour the whole house to find you!"

AJ walks to her and starts talking to her, walking her up. "Gwen, honey it's okay, I'm right here. Wake up baby. It's okay."

Gwen wakes with a start, sitting up gasping. It takes a moment for her to focus on AJ, but when she does, she grabs him into a hug. "I was back there, at Granny's house, trapped again! But you were there too, I could hear you screaming for them to stop, for them to let you go, screaming for me—" she breaks off, her voice cracking on the last word. AJ pulls her into a tighter hug. "I couldn't find you! I looked everywhere and I couldn't find you! They kept moving you around to where no matter where I looked, you wouldn't be there." She sits back just to stare at him, tears streaming down her face.

"I'm right here. It's okay. I'm not going anywhere." He said, stroking her head, pulling her back into his chest, just holding her while she calmed down. After a few minutes, she sat up and looked down.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't act like this, it was only a dream."

"Honey, there's no need to apologize." He put his hands on either side of her face. "You know it's more than a dream though- we lived through it, and your subconscious fears are just surfacing. You were kidnapped. I was held hostage. You did everything you could to save me, and you did so, very valiantly. I couldn't ask for a better partner than you. I love you."

She put her forehead to his, seeking comfort in him. "I love you."

AJ wrapped his arms around her hugging her. "Now, don't you have a spa day to get to?"

Gwen smiles. "Let me get washed up and I'll be ready. Can you tell Katie please?"

"Sure." AJ walked to the living room and told Katie that Gwen was up and would be out momentarily.

Gwen took a shaky breath, and a few more tears escaped. She knows she's safe now, but for how long? Did Granny and Grandpa and the Child survive? What if they did, and they were coming for them again? No, I can't think like that. They're gone for good.