Chapter 53

Katie walked in and saw Gwen sitting next to AJ holding his hand. She gently knocked on the door to get Gwen's attention. "Hey." Gwen looked up and Katie walked over to Gwen. "You holding up okay?"

Sniffling, Gwen answered. "I guess. He is going to be okay, right?" Gwen looked at Katie with the most pitiful look on her face.

Katie almost broke down. "I believe he will be. You have to have faith as well." Katie put her hand on Gwen's hand, which was still holding on to AJ's hand. "G, you know as well as I do he's a fighter. Just remember that. He will fight. For you and for himself."

Gwen closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Saying a prayer silently, she opened her eyes. "Okay. I know he's going to be okay. He is so strong and so determined, he will stay for himself and for me." Gwen sighed. "It's all going to work out."

A nurse came in to check over AJ and get some blood drawn. Chatting a bit while working, she learned who Gwen and Katie were. Leaving with a wave, the nurse smiled at Gwen and said "Have faith."

"Katie, I don't want to leave him. Would you please go get me a bottle of Mountain Dew?" Katie nods and leaves.

"Baby, I know you are going to be okay. I have faith you will be fine. Please wake up and prove it to me." She squeezed his hand. "I know it's scary. I'm scared too. You're faced with a world of unknown. You're uncertain on what will happen. I'm here to tell you it doesn't matter what happens. As long as I have you beside me, I know we can conquer anything. You have been so strong in helping me, now it's my turn to help you. You are always my rock, my shield, now it's time for me to be your rock, your shield. Baby, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. Let me be here for you. Lean on me. My love, you are the most incredible person I know. If anyone can pull through this, it's you. You have shown me what it's like to be loved. I am grateful for that, because I can do the same to you." She kisses his forehead. "I love you with every fiber of my being. All I need is you beside me. Please wake up for me." Tears start rolling down her cheeks again.

Katie comes back with the requested drink and hands it to Gwen. She looked at her watch. "I'd better call Kevin and let him know what's going on." She stepped out of the room again.

Gwen looked at AJ. His color was back to normal, he just looked to be sleeping. She brought his hand up to her lips and kissed it. She clasped both of her hands around his one. She put her head on their hands. She closed her eyes and prayed. She just wanted him awake again.