Chapter 3 : She Doesn't Like Stale Muffins!

Being hand-fed by a handsome stranger while laying on high-thread Egyptian sheets wasn't as romantic as movies made it out to be

Being hand-fed by a handsome stranger while laying on high-thread Egyptian sheets wasn't as romantic as movies made it out to be. Especially when the food you're being fed consists of stale muffins and orange juice with extra pulp.

Rowena's arms were numb after being tied up for hours. They'd given her a quick bathroom break but growled when she asked to at least have the rope around her wrists untied. When she complained about being hungry, Cross ordered his beta, Liam, to get her something to eat. Liam didn't seem happy about that task which probably explained the stale muffins.

Rowena learned a few things while waiting on the wolf pack to decide her fate. To the human-world, Cross Howler was the mayor of the town named after his family. To the pack, Cross was the alpha. If he said, "Jump," his packmates asked, "How high?" If he said, "Capture that woman because I think she's a witch who set someone's house on fire which also killed the skank her jerk boyfriend was cheating on her with," they said, "No problem and we'll feed her stale muffins while we're at it."

Despite spending most of her time working at Sweet Homes, a home goods store, Rowena was an avid reader. She even formed a book club with her co-workers. Sure, they only chose books with half-naked men on the covers, but it was still a fun group and luckily for Rowena, she was introduced to shifter romances. She was a firm believer in knowing the enemy.

She made a huffing sound as she thought of all the romance authors who lied to her about werewolves being sexy and romanticizing werewolves capturing humans when it wasn't romantic at all. Not one bit. One, she hadn't been given a toothbrush that morning, so her mouth felt icky. Why does no one ever talk about that in romance novels when the heroine is captured? An icky mouth is not romantic! Two, the male wolves kept sniffing at her and it was giving her a complex. It's not like she could put on extra deodorant while she was tied. They said she smelled good, but still...it was weird. Finally, the romance novels always made it seem like the heroine and the alpha were fated mates. There was no way she and Cross were destined to be together.

It was during one of his visits, that Rowena decided enough was enough. She had a to-do list waiting for her at home. That list consisted of things like mowing the lawn, buying a new toothbrush, and possibly exercising. Nowhere on that to-do list did it have anything about getting kidnapped. She glared at Cross who was about to take a swig of water, before shouting, "My Kitty needs attention!"

He spat out his water and jerked his head to her with wide eyes. "What did you say?"

"I said my Kitty needs attention! It's been hours! You can't just leave me tied up like this. I have needs! It's in the constitution!"

"What is with you and the constitution?" Matt, the head enforcer for the pack, asked.

Liam turned his head and coughed to cover a laugh while Cross stared down at her in her nightie, the bottle of water halfway to his lips. Rowena's eyes narrowed. "What are you staring at, pervert?"